new guy, looking for an option between bottling and metal kegging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struby

Reaction score
i was hoping there was some 2.5 or 5 gallon cheap container that would work just as well in secondary fermentation as bottles, but that I could just put all of the beer in, all I found was that party pig but i'd just rather have something cheaper and simpler, and also maybe bigger. I don't want to deal with metal kegs and pressure systems, so I guess what i basically want is a giant beer bottle, but it doesn't have to be shaped like one, anyone know anything about something like that, thanks in advance.

Well, you could go with 22oz bottles. If you get swingtops, you won't even need a capper. The problem with larger containers comes when you decide you only want to drink a pint. Once you release the CO2 from the bottle, it goes flat. Worse yet, you get oxygen in so it goes bad. That's when you go to kegging because you can pull a shot glass full or dispense the whole damn thing in a day if you have enough people drinking. It doesn't matter because it's always kept under pressure and oxygen never gets in.

Well, I'd say that the risk of oxygenation from opening a bottle of beer is pretty insignificant. After all, as more CO2 degasses, it woudl create a blanket over the beer that prevents the beer from touching the air. The main problem with opening a bottle is, as stated, that you create more headspace, thus the beer goes flat. Oxygenation doesn't even come into play.

Termonology correction: Secondary fermentation is not typically done in bottles however. That's done in a bucket or carboy.

As far as alternate storage solutuions. There are mini kegs:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByCat.aspx?Cat=100

Or Tap a draft:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdBySubCat.aspx?SubCat=1040

Or party pigs:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdBySubCat.aspx?SubCat=1030

I've heard varying experiences with each of these systems.

However, the dream you have: a really cheap (less than $35) system that isn't metal and maybe holds more than 2.5 gallons..... I'm sorry but that jsut doens't exist.

Yeah so bottom line, you either put beer into containers the exact size of your incremental (daily) consumption, or you put it into larger containers (or any size for that matter) that you dispense with CO2. Over and out.

ok thanks, I'm thinking big bottles would be best for me, is there a taste difference if you use plastic, glass, screw top, ez flip tops etc, or are any dark bottles ok?

You should try to use dark bottles. they will keep your hops from getting skunked.

Most people use glass pry off, but flip tops are fine also.

Personally, I avoid plastic and twist off, and I think most people do.

two liter soda bottles may work for you. I assume you would have to store them away from the light and drink the entire contents when you open one. They would be very cheap. In fact, some soda comes in 3 liter plastic bottles these days. You could use those if you wanted bigger.

well unless a few people have strong feelings about soda bottles hurting the taste, they should do fine for me, maybe i can even find some dark ones or at least use green ones, and store them in a dark corner of my basement probably, does that sound reasonable to most people, I don't think my friends and I would have issues working in 2 liters at a time. Thanks everyone.

The tap a draft system can hook up to 3 liter soda bottles. I read a lot about it before I acquired a keg fridge and I think it's a pretty solid setup for someone who isn't ready to dive into corny kegs yet.

You can also get a "Carbonator" cap about $15-16. Then add a CO2 bottle with a single regulator, hose and gas ball lock to inject CO2 into your 2 or 3 liter soda bottle.

That would allow you to repressurize if onlly part of the beer was drunk or force carbonate.

Thus allowing you to slowly build your way up to a kegging system. If you ever become interested in kegging.

that seams like it's getting too keg ish, i'll want cheap, ez, and I don't mind having to drink 2-3 liters at a time with people.

Bottling in plastic 2l bottles isn't really significantly easier than bottling in glass.

but it is cheaper, unbreakable, and if i need new ones, i just have to drink soda or dig into the recycling bin. I of course, am not experienced, but it sounds easier to me.

I've been considering the Tap a Draft option myself. I don't mind bottling, but that 3 weeks is like torture! Does anyone know if the Tap a Draft system is able to force carbonate beer?

Evenif it was--- force carbonation doesn't stop you from needing to wait for the flavor.

Green beer is green beer.

Jason's right forced carbonation would not properly condition your beer.

Just keeps you from having to add sugar.

struby said:
that seams like it's getting too keg ish, i'll want cheap, ez, and I don't mind having to drink 2-3 liters at a time with people.

Just a suggestion and this was not meant just for you. Others read these posts looking for ideas and to learn.

will i run into any problems with the pressure of beer carbonation or anything like that with the soda bottles, or will they definitely work, and when i fill them, how far up, I know usually an inch or so for glass beer bottles, but these are plastic and bigger, so hmm?

If you use soda bottles, be sure to leave the labels on the bottles, they significantly add to the strength of the bottle and raise the bursting pressure.
Going off memory, from an engineering project in college about 20 years ago, I think the plastic 2 liter bottles burst at near 150psi without labels and up near 300psi with labels intact - so you have a lot of margin for error if you bottle before fermentation is complete --- someone can probably get more accurate numbers from internet...

Talk about convenient and no investment -- just need to clean/sanitize, and you don't need any cappers, etc. A primary bucket, secondary carboy (if desired) and/or bottling bucket, some tubing and racking cane, and you're ready to go as long as you have some plastic bottles/caps -- I'm surprised that more people don't use plastic....

nothing like a reassuring post, i'm not into brewing at all yet, i mean i'm into it but not started, is it cheaper to get the kits or the ingredients seperate and is it worth the seperate ingredient hastle? I guess I should make a new thread or look but I figured i'd ask.

I've used the PET 16oz plastic coors light bottles in the past but the seals don't last batch after batch. On my third batch I had a few go flat on me.

Don't worry about bursting pressure. We're talking about 10-20psi max. I mean, even if you double your priming sugar by accident, you won't hit 100 psi.

struby said:
nothing like a reassuring post, i'm not into brewing at all yet, i mean i'm into it but not started, is it cheaper to get the kits or the ingredients seperate and is it worth the seperate ingredient hastle? I guess I should make a new thread or look but I figured i'd ask.

The kits are easier and usually a tad cheaper, so a good way to start out.

I am not interested in using them, but I'm curious what would make using 40oz. beer bottles with screw on metal caps and plastic seals molded inside undesirable, if using 2L soda bottles is acceptable?

Back