New from Western MA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehuff

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just started this new hobby and am wicked excited!

I made my first batch on 10/17 and am waiting for the fermentation to kick in. It was a partial mash and I am already seeing where I can improve my operations/spend my money.

The last hobby I had sort of turned into a job...hopefully this one stays a hobby!

I am going to thank you all for the info I have already read and can't wait to brew again. With that in mind, any idea's for a good winter brew?

A wicked welcome to you ehuff,

Ideas for a good winter brew, huh?

Being a former native of Massachusetts, I missed drinking Harpoon's Winter Warmer. So, I just brewed up its clone and can't wait to see how close it is the real thing. It is sitting in secondary right now. Besides that, I always like a nice oatmeal stout in winter time.

Anyway, welcome and good luck.

Welcome from Central MA!

Charlie Papazian's Holiday Cheer from The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is a favorite of mine.

Huh - another bumpkin. Welcome from Pittsfield. =)

Winter beer? Dark stuff for me - stout, porter... I have a bourbon vanilla porter that should be coming into its own pretty soon - can't wait to sip one while watching the snow pile up!

Huh - another bumpkin. Welcome from Pittsfield. =)

Winter beer? Dark stuff for me - stout, porter... I have a bourbon vanilla porter that should be coming into its own pretty soon - can't wait to sip one while watching the snow pile up!

Hey, you're in Pittsfield? You been going to that homebrew club that meets at the newish HBS? I went to the first four or five meetings, but kind of dropped out for a long while but plan on making my way back soon.

Hey, you're in Pittsfield? You been going to that homebrew club that meets at the newish HBS? I went to the first four or five meetings, but kind of dropped out for a long while but plan on making my way back soon.

Kevin's place on North St? I haven't been out yet.. Keep telling myself I will sometime soon, and then don't. :eek:

I probably oughtta though - aside from my buddy's (who has attended a couple meetings) I haven't tried any other homebrew yet, nor had anyone but him critique my own beers. How's the deal there? Pretty laid back?

I haven't been to the meetings since a couple years ago, when they were at the Brew Works. Kevin's a real nice guy and it's a pretty cool little shop he runs, not quite as extensive a selection as over at Hennessey in Troy, but he's got most things that you'd want. The last meeting was last Friday, couldn't make it because I was on kid duty but I'm going to do my best to get down there next month.

Ha, thank you all for the warm welcome. As soon as I posted that I realized that putting in the "wicked" might catch me some slack. Ahh well.

I went to my lhbs and they recommended a partial mash porter. So I am going to give that a go. First I have to figure out how to keep my primary and soon to be secondary warm in the basement. They are hovering at 64-65 and nothing is happening. I saw the idea's for a aquarium heater, so I might try that.

Also I own a sugar house, so I am trying to figure out how to work some maple into the beer. We had given maple syrup to people in the past and it came out not so good. So I am thinking that maybe a barley wine would be better for that sweet taste.

Maple porters can be good, too. Had some good ones and some bad ones, the bad ones are those that use way too much of what's obviously artificial maple flavor. Something smooth and malty, maybe a little subtle roast (from something like a porter, not a stout). Barleywine would be a good choice, if you didn't want to go that big even an olde ale could be nice with some maple character.

the most recent maple beer I did used maple in the secondary, which caused a kind of refermentation, but also gave the beer a subtle sweet maply flavor. you can also use sap instead of water and do a sap beer!

Back