New Fridge in progress... woo-hoo!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I might post the progress of my conversion of the new "to me" beer fridge. Just in case anyone else is considering doing it.

(Had experience from doing my small chest freezer that holds (2) 3 gallon ball-locks for my bar, but this is a whole other level of destruction!)

Picked up a used 18 cu. ft. fridge from craigslist for $100. Got it home and gutted the interior and cleaned. (and cleaned and cleaned... you get the point)

Figured I can easily fit (4) 5 galons cornies with plenty of room for other stuff. So I laid out where I wanted the taps. Made sure that the stardard 4" black tap handles would not interfere with opening the freezer. Also taking into account where I could cut based on the layout of the interior door plastic. (See the picture for what I mean, I wanted to keep as much of the door shelving usable as possible) Cut out the (4) 1" holes into the door with a bi-metal hole cutter on the drill. (For the record, they are spaced at 4" center to center, no reason other than I thought that spacing looked the best) Then used a utility knife with a new blade to cut out the rectangle of plastic from inside the door. Only takes two passes with the blade, so you don't have to use a huge amount of pressure! Be careful!!

After this was done I painted the doors with Kilz primer and Rustoleum hammered copper spray paint. The rest of the fridge will be gloss black.

Cut out the decorative panel behind the taps from wood, attached a shelf for the drip trays and painted it all black. I was counting on this panel to add some stiffess to the taps as well. So far, so good.

Ran the shanks through the door and the panel and attached the faucets.

Attached the liquid disconnects to 6' pieces of 3/16" ID thick walled beverage tubing and then to the shanks.

Attached the gas discoonects to 5' pieces of 5/16" ID CO2 line and then to the three way gas mainfold. Also attached the gas-in line at this time. Wanted all the hoses attached first in order to determine the best place to mount the manifold.

Mounted the manifold with 4 bolts through one of the door shelves and a block of wood underneath for strength.

Well, thats where I currently stand. A little long winded but I always think too much info is better than too little. Hope to have more progress in a couple of days.
(Larger pics are in my gallery)

Bev_Lines01.jpg

Bev_Gas01.jpg

Frige02.jpg

Taps01.jpg

I like it. I think I would have held out for the FREE fridge though. I have found FIVE of them now for friends. one was only two years old! there are so many people remodeling right now fridges are everywhere and mos just want to get rid of them BUT I do know how hard it is to wait for something when you want to do a prodject. I know of one right now here in Redding CA in really good shape for FREE if anyone is interested let me know soon my friend just bought a new one for his house and this one has "GOT TO GO" he said
your Kegger Looks Good.
JJ

The paint looks awesome. I also like the idea of your "decorative panel". It looks good in black (acrylic?), but I imagine it would also look good with a cutout of stainless steel flashing.

Looks good so far, keep us posted on the rest!

:mug:

Im digging your fridge! Ive never liked the big SS splash guards on the front, but black looks like the way to go.

jaybird said:
EdWort
Tell me thats not your brew hut. I gotta get me one of those!!!!
JJ

No, it's not MY brew hut, but I will be building one soon. I've got just over 4 acres here in Texas Hill Country and it was SWMBO's idea (how cool is that). I'm figuring on this style about 14'x20' next to the Biergarten Gazebo. :rockin:

justanutherdude said:
Edwort, what I wouldn't give to have the land to do that! I'm stuck with this stupid Central Florida 100' x 150' subdivision type lot!

Yeah, been there done that a couple of times. SWMBO found this place and persuaded me to buy it last year. It's a fixer-upper, but's it's cool not see the house from the street (driveway is 380 ft. long & winds among Texas Live Oaks).

It keeps us busy working on it every weekend, but soon there will be cold homebrewskis at the end of the day.

Looks sweet. I dig the wood panel. Your setup is similar to mine. Gut an older fridge and install 4 taps. I think I'm going to use the black "chalkboard" paint on mine.

Okay, got the bottom shelves done, all lines through a guide to keep them organized and the co2 line drilled through the side.

Drilling through the side was a piece of cake. Drilled a very small pilot/exploratory hole. Didn't seem to be anything in there other than insulation.

Will be revising the bracket I made for guiding the hoses. After operating the door a few times, it's obvious that it needs to be able to move a bit back and forth. So, I will replace the hard strapping material with a wire "U" covered with aquarium tubing. Hopefully this will allow it to swing as the door moves. Oh, and it will need to be moved towards the back of the fridge just a bit.

Trial and error, trial and error.

Good idea, could have done something cool with the blackboard paint! Crap...... oh well, next time!

Shelves01.jpg

Bracket-Hoses.jpg

Back