New Exhaust Vent Hood!…but need to add drain for condensation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, finally finished hanging the stock tank vent hood this weekend and got a test (water) boil in. Fan worked very well. Previously we had the fan mounted vertically directly over the BK, which would eventually drop condensation back down as the fan could not keep up towards the end of the boil.

Now, the fan is mounted horizontally and seems to do a much better job pulling the steam away, though as expected, condensation builds up in the fan and drips from the bottom of the housing. Thinking I can drill a hole and silicone in some 3/8” OD tubing to use as a drain. Would like to make it look cleaner with a small petcock valve but haven’t found anything yet that looks like it would fit the bill.

Anyone else do something similar and what have you used to facilitate draining the condensation?

Also, I like the clean look of the hard pipe vent hose but thoughts on maybe insulating it? 59318D3C-4B94-4CC3-815F-FE111AE20C96.jpeg1AAEDC66-7E8B-4B82-81B2-6DD6260881AA.jpeg3E030730-0419-4CD0-88E2-4DD5AC06F966.jpeg267AAC5F-0712-4FF9-B89C-C70340C70DD2.jpeg

When I had that style fan I had the same issue. I drilled a small weep hole and put a bucket under. If you want a clean look, I'd suggest going to the hardware store and finding a flanged bushing in the small parts drawers that fits tightly inside some tubing to use as a nipple. Scrape/sand some paint in the immediate area and epoxy over the weep hole.

I used insulated pipe and feel it did help but at some point in the winter here it collides with the cold outside air.

My replacement is a higher CFM stove vent hood for general ventilation (mostly just getting some dust at mash-in) and a steam condenser.

I'd put the inline fan further away from the hood. If that exhaust duct goes through the attic or into some other room where the noise won't be an issue, then that's where I'd think the ideal place for the fan will be.

That'll get both the noise away from where you are brewing and also give any moist air more time to condense prior to getting into the fan.

Your drain hole or holes for condensation just need to be in the lowest places of anything that needs draining. And many times there won't be any drainage until the fan is turned off. So you can just leave the fan on till everything is dry in the hood and duct work. Maybe with a timer to turn it off after a couple hours or so.

Last edited:
Yeah hotbeer, I would’ve preferred to mount the fan a bit further away from the tank but that was a difficult proposition as the vent hood is close to that corner. There is living space above my garage/brewery so piping through that was def not an option.

I’ll prob just drill a drain hole & silicone in some tubing and also leave the fan on for a while after brewing to help clear everything out.

Back