New Cider batch - 3 weeks in the making. What should I do now..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan-andreoli

Reaction score
Hello there, fellow brewers

I started this topic because I haven't found knowledge in the recent threads about my situation..
Before rumbling about all my process I would like to ask my question:

Do you need to do a secondary process to clear your cider if it's still cloudy (but FG seems ok) or you can bottle your batch if you are fine with the clarity?

I started a new batch of cider April 8th in the afternoon, my recipe is this:
(converting from metric to imperial, so pardon me the slight difference of measurements)
-9.5 liters (2.5 gallons) of store bought apple juice (no antioxidants or preservatives);
-1 kg (35 oz) of cane sugar;
-9 grams (0.317 oz) of white whine yeast (pitched after making a starter);
-1,5 teaspoons of yeast nutrients;
-probably less of 0.3 grams (0.1 oz) of ascorbic acid

Sanitized all equipment (funnel, glass carboy, spoons, airlock, ecc), mixed everything together and stored in my basement with a temperature of 15 to 20 °C (59 to 68 °F) in a dark spot never exposed to sunlight.

I didn't had my hydrometer at the time and I saved some mix (without the yeast) in the fridge for when it arrived, and the OG at fridge temp. 4 to 6 °C (39.2 to 42.8 °F) was 1.080.

I tested the airlock and the lid for leaks before starting and seemed fine, but never saw it bubble 1 time; the fermentation started and continued fine for what I know, because I was seeing bubble rising from the bottom and foam creating on the surface, but never saw a bubble in the airlock.

Now it's 3 weeks in, the rising bubbles are very slow moving and very few , I took another hydrometer test yesterday and it's reading somewhat 1.000/ .995.

When I took off the lid to take my sample, I smelled alcohol-like cider smell; but the batch it's still cloudy..

I'm fine with bottling now, but if I have to wait another week to see if it get clearer, I'll calm my urge to see those bottles filled and wait.. :D

PS
if someone needs some other detail for helping with my decision, I'll provide it if I know it, of course..

I'd say throw it in the fridge overnight to let it cold crash and clear, but not sure about priming and bottle carbing cider- i'm just doing cider in kegs.

Hey owmatooth, that was one of my doubts..
I've done another batch, like 2 years ago; slightly different method swapping a liter of juice with one of water; and I waited 4 weeks before bottling, but I don't remember how clear it was.
Surely I remember I put some 5 grams of sugar inside all bottles for a sparkling result, and nothing exploded..

Damn.. I'm so conflicted about this.. :confused:

If you are at 1.000 and been there for a week or so then your OK to bottle carb. Cider clarity in my opinion is a personal preference. I personally like having a crystal clear cider, but it is certainly not required and absolutely wont hurt anything not to.

If you choose not to clarify and bottle now then you will likely have a bit more sediment in the bottle as it will likely clear a bit and settle out the suspended solids over time. As you will be bottle carbing there will be some sediment anyway.

If you want to clarify. There are a number of ways to do so that only take a few days and as Owmatooth suggested cold crashing for a few days does wonders. You could add a clarifying agent such as bentonite, KC SuperKleer or something similar. If these dont work then the cloudiness could be pectin . In that case use some pectic Enzyme.

Thank you CKuhns,

If you are at 1.000 and been there for a week or so then your OK to bottle carb. Cider clarity in my opinion is a personal preference. I personally like having a crystal clear cider, but it is certainly not required and absolutely wont hurt anything not to.

I believe the FG was like that even a week ago, maybe a little bit more, but I'm not sure because I haven't tested it, surely last week already slowed down a lot..

If you choose not to clarify and bottle now then you will likely have a bit more sediment in the bottle as it will likely clear a bit and settle out the suspended solids over time. As you will be bottle carbing there will be some sediment anyway.

The sediment wasn't an issue the first time I tried brewing, everybody liked it and never said anything about the residue at the bottom, maybe because here around my area we are used to have some of it in our home-brewed wines..

If you want to clarify. There are a number of ways to do so that only take a few days and as Owmatooth suggested cold crashing for a few days does wonders. You could add a clarifying agent such as bentonite, KC SuperKleer or something similar. If these dont work then the cloudiness could be pectin . In that case use some pectic Enzyme.

I will certainly try to clarify the brew if I find a deal with some wine/spirit sellers nearby (one of the things I had in mind starting this new batch hoping to continue brewing, just to make some side-cash), because of course it's more appealing for a finished product..
If not, I'll drink all of it with friends and make more!! :tank:

You could always rack to secondary so it gets off the current sediment, then add some time til it clears. That will also help your final product be even clearer since you wont be sucking up so much crud into the bottling bucket. The natural time method could take a couple weeks to a couple months. As other say, putting it in the frig could clear it quicker, but i'd wager that it'll still take at least a week in the frig.

Another tip that people use, is to dissolve all priming sugar into the bottling bucket so you're not putting individual amounts in each bottle. Its less troublesome to do, and distributes more evenly making carb levels more consistent.

How's the clarity looking? I just threw my cider in the fridge this morning after 2 wks in primary. Its cloudier than the first, but this time i used "all natural" motts rather than the crystal clear stuff I used the last batch. I'm guessing it's gonna stay a little hazy. I'm not gonna bother with additives, it is what it is, and smells and tastes great. This is my second filling of cider on the same yeast cake. No noticeable difference in gravity or taste. Awesome. I'm gonna put the yeast slurry in Mason Jars to store in the fridge, as I'm not needing another keg of cider at the moment.

Unbelievably easy and tasty.
cheers!

Don't bottle till it's done, otherwise kaboom.

My advice is patience. Give it at least a couple more weeks, then decide. It might still clear up all on its own, especially if you cool it down at all.

Back