New Brewer Test: Start from Scratch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batinse

Reaction score
Here's the scenario:

New homebrewer, someone who starts from nothing, but can invest 50$ every two brews or so (a simplification for the purposes of exposition). Assuming she starts with a carboy and a 20Q Brewpot (extract only, natch) how would you advise this new homebrewer to expand her operation? She has basic DIY skills, but she's eager.

How should she proceed?

I would start by getting a pot that can do full boils and move to a propane burner. I would then figure out temperature controls. Then I'd get a stir plate and a flask to make starters. Then I'd build a mash tun and go all grain.

Anything beyond that is bells and whistles. Kegging is convenient, but without the above steps locked down, I think it is a waste. And honestly, I don't think I'd wait on starters or temperature controls, but that's just me.

Assuming you already have the relatively inexpensive stuff like an autosiphon (priceless), good thermometer or two, various tubing for racking, airlock(s) and bung(s), bottling wand, StarSan sanitizer, wing or bench capper, etc, I'd next go with 1) a quicker way to cool the wort (i.e. an immersion cooler or better), and 2) a quicker way to heat the wort/water (i.e. a great burner). You can construct an immersion cooler with copper tubing - unfortunately the expensive part IS the copper tubing, so it might just make more sense to buy one pre-made.

You can make great beer with extract, but when you move to all grain you'll need a larger boil kettle for full boils, a mash tun, a hot liquor tank, etc etc etc.

So: after getting a few odds and ends (say the stuff that comes with a beginner kit), we have suggestions for 1) a bigger pot or 2) a chiller. I find both of those compelling, but I'm not sure about the burner, provided you can get a full boil on your stove top. It's useful, sure, but is it the next step? I'm more inclined to move toward fermentation temp controls.

So: after getting a few odds and ends (say the stuff that comes with a beginner kit), we have suggestions for 1) a bigger pot or 2) a chiller. I find both of those compelling, but I'm not sure about the burner, provided you can get a full boil on your stove top. It's useful, sure, but is it the next step? I'm more inclined to move toward fermentation temp controls.

You'll likely find it difficult to get 6+ gals of water boiling on your stove top, but if you can do it, then temp control and yeast management equipment would be your next steps toward greatness.

Well I came up from this scenario myself not all that long ago. I would direct you to look at: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/ there is a link in that thread for an all grain version.

Seeing as you are in Canada and winter is coming, I would perfect my stove top brewing before rushing into the outdoors...

I did split boils for a good while and my main advice to you is look in this direction...Also check the DIY section here for some help!

- Fermentation temp control is a must but pretty easy and cheap if you build a swamp cooler and manually monitor temps and swap out frozen water bottles. LOTS of people do this here.
- Go All Grain as you feel comfortable, the sooner the better.
- Build a cooler mash tun or MLT. It does not need to be super expensive but you want one that is 10 gallons or better for 5 gallon batches.
- Next step is build a stir plate and learn to wash and reuse your yeast.

The above is going to help not only brew better beer but drive the cost down per batch.

I would also keep a close on Craigs List and classifieds in your area. You are looking for 1/2 bbl sankey kegs to turn into keggles (3), turkey fryers(2) *you may get lucky and score a nice sized boil kettle this way...*, "brewing equipment and 6.5 gallon carboys" at bargain prices...I did this and let me tell you it is WAY cheaper to buy things as they become available than to "need them now" and/or buy retail...

Just the above things will start you in a GREAT direction. Then come spring time look to making larger batches outside.

I started there. Then I bought the following and will do mt best to get the order down.

Bigger Kettle 7.5 qt
Extra fermenter
Extra carboy
Wort Chiller
2 burner Propane Stove
Partial Mash Tun (2.5 gallon cooler and grain bag)
Even bigger kettle. Bought a 50 qt and now need a 60 qt.)
10 Gallon Cooler MLT build
Keezer build (Had the freezeer. Co2 tank, regulator, temp control, a keg and lines.
More kegs
Perlick taps
More fermenters

Actually, I've already got a pretty decent setup I'm more or less satisfied with. This is more of a hypothetical. My setup came together ragtag--no real plan (because I was a beginner) just "I could probably use one of those." I was wondering if I was a new brewer, what I would do differently.

I mean, it's all well and good to advise new brewers to wait before they jump into all-grain, but all-grain is fun.

It is fun. It's like making spaghetti sauce from scratch. Sure you can make some great spaghetti by dressing up a can of Ragu and one would be hard to tell the difference in the final dish.

But if you really like making spaghetti sauce, one starts with ripe tomatoes.

I second looking through craigslist, especially if you plan on taking your time building up your equipment. My major upgrades have been decided on what deals I've found. Recently, I found a 15.5g keg for $30, which made the move to all grain the obvious next step.

I would start by getting a pot that can do full boils and move to a propane burner. I would then figure out temperature controls. Then I'd get a stir plate and a flask to make starters. Then I'd build a mash tun and go all grain.

Anything beyond that is bells and whistles. Kegging is convenient, but without the above steps locked down, I think it is a waste. And honestly, I don't think I'd wait on starters or temperature controls, but that's just me.

+1

I'd probably even say do the temp control before a bigger pot. Making wort is pretty easy and happens on the stove/burner. Making beer happens in the fermenter and its really hard to do consistently without temperature control. I don't have it yet and it drives me crazy because I could brew the same beer twice and its going to come out different each time because I'm fermenting in a bucket of water in the bathroom. Its really hard to learn if you can't get repeatable results (although you can still make good beer - it just probably won't be the same from batch to batch).

I don't think I'd try to convince a noob to start yeast-wrangling right away. What styles of beer does this person like? American? Use US-05. English? S-04. Heffe's?: Munich or WB-06. Belgians/wits?: T-58 or Brewferm Blanche. There's a crap load of easy to use, quality dry yeasts out there.

I second the idea of getting temp control before going all grain. Also, go the No Chill route. That's a lot easier than showing someone new how to drop temps with chillers and such.

So start with: partial mashes in a grainbag, swamp cooler temp control, dry yeast and No Chill.

Then buy stuff in this order:

1) Big-ass pot
2) Temp controlled fermentation
3) Propane setup
4) All grain setup
5) Kegging setup
6) Yeast ranching
7) Immersion Chiller, if needed.

Why do you need to do a full boil when making all grain? Sorry to hijack the thread....

You start with a large volume from mashing and sparging and have no choice but to boil the full volume.

You start with a large volume from mashing and sparging and have no choice but to boil the full volume.
You can also run off a smaller volume and top off if you are willing to take the efficiency hit. That's what I used to do before I got a larger pot.

Regarding the original question: quality, reliable temperature control. Nothing else will have as large an impact on the quality of the beer you produce. A close second would be yeast starters if you are using liquid yeast.

I pretty much designed a system that I felt would satisfy my desires down the road, and then planned my purchases so everything I bought could be used both now and later.

Back