New Brewer from Toledo Ohio.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gt_andy

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Andy and I just got a True Brew Gold Kit and a True brew ingredant kit as a Fathers Day Gift. This is perfect because I LOVE BEER and always wanted to make my own.

So im pretty fresh at it and dont know much of anything. I have read throught the instructions and they seem very vage. I was kinda hoping joining this site would help me with the finer details.

One thing was confused about with this kit is that it come with 2 large I containers. A plastic one that has a hole on the side for a spout and a hole on the cap for the air vent. Then another Glass bottle (i think its called carboy). In the instructions it explains a 2 step process using 2 different containers. While reading into it more i see it wants to transfer to the carboy then add the yeast and stir.. This seems complicated with a little access hole. Is it possible to mix it completely in the fist container then transfer to the carboy for the frementation? Then transfer it back to the bucket to bottle?

Maybee im reading it wrong. Im sure everyone has their own ways. Just looking for tips!

Thanks for reading.

Ho many gallons are the Carboy and bucket? How many gallons are you making? Which part of Toledo are you from? I'm over by UT.

I live in south toledo, byrne and heatherdowns area. I went to UT for a few years. I grew up in this area. I know toledo very well.

Its nice to see someone on here is from my home town.

Like I said in the OP I have a true brew gold kit.
Comes with:
7.8 Gallon Fermenting Bucket, 1 Lid Drilled & Grommet, True Brew Rack & Fill kit, 6 Gallon Glass Carboy, Fermometer Fermentation Thermometer, Small Buon Vino Drilled Stopper, Hydrometer, Bottling Spigot, Emily Double Lever Capper, 3 Piece Airlock, Bottle Brush, C-Brite Sanitizer 8-Pack.

I also have a true brew home brewing kit. Amber all malt. That kit makes about 5 gallons. That comes out to about 50 beers.

Currently, im working on collecting a few items that I want to make the process easier.

Hey Andy, welcome. I grew up in Maumee and Toledo. Spent most of my childhood kicking around the old Mud Hens stadium and Southwyck mall in Maumee, then lived near the river in Toledo later. Left when I was 15 and never went back.

Hello Andy and y'all!

I also grew up in Toledo; 5 corners area not far from Mancy's. I work in downtown near 5/3 field and I live out in Wood County now. There's a great LHBS (Local Home Brew Store) called Titgemeiers on Broadway just south of the trail. They are knowledgeable there.

To answer your question you will be mixing your ingredients in your bucket and letting it ferment there. Then you will rack (or transfer, if you will) to the glass carboy to age and mellow out. Then you'll transfer to a bottling bucket (uses the spigot) to fill bottles.

Hey Andy, welcome. I grew up in Maumee and Toledo. Spent most of my childhood kicking around the old Mud Hens stadium and Southwyck mall in Maumee, then lived near the river in Toledo later. Left when I was 15 and never went back.

Be glad you left brother. Southwyck was razed to the ground a few years back. Northtowne is also gone, as is Woodville. Franklin is the only one left and it's the "premier" shopping center in the area. The Mud Hens left the old rec center a few years back and now play in downtown about 2 blocks south of what used to be Portside.

Last I knew the Rec Center was closed for the most part because it needs all sorts of maintenance that noone can afford though there is one hall where events are held once in a while.

This area is rotting quickly (just like Detroit, though not as bad) and I'm currently job searching out West.

Be glad you left brother. Southwyck was razed to the ground a few years back. Northtowne is also gone, as is Woodville. Franklin is the only one left and it's the "premier" shopping center in the area. The Mud Hens left the old rec center a few years back and now play in downtown about 2 blocks south of what used to be Portside.

Last I knew the Rec Center was closed for the most part because it needs all sorts of maintenance that noone can afford though there is one hall where events are held once in a while.

This area is rotting quickly (just like Detroit, though not as bad) and I'm currently job searching out West.

Oh man the rec center. I lived right across the street from it. I have fond memories of walking to those public pools in the dog days of summer, popping tar bubbles along the way with my big toe. Dad had to go at those toes with kerosene at least once a week. That was the early 70's before shoes were invented. Good times.

Oh man the rec center. I lived right across the street from it. I have fond memories of walking to those public pools in the dog days of summer, popping tar bubbles along the way with my big toe. Dad had to go at those toes with kerosene at least once a week. That was the early 70's before shoes were invented. Good times.

So what was it like living in a world before color was invented Grandpa?

:D

So what was it like living in a world before color was invented Grandpa?

:D

Truth is it was very Mayberry RFD for me. There was a lake right across the rec center (it's surrounded by apartment buildings now) and my buddies and I used to walk through the corn fields to that lake and fish bass and shoot birds off the trees with our sling shots.

Corn field is gone now and replaced with more houses I think.

Still have birds up there? :D

What was it like? Rather one dimensional. Not to mention,the halos around people on the screens of those old B&W tube sets with those flintstone cameras they used to have. I've since hung up my flint knives,bear skins,& the dino ride is gone.

Truth is it was very Mayberry RFD for me. There was a lake right across the rec center (it's surrounded by apartment buildings now) and my buddies and I used to walk through the corn fields to that lake and fish bass and shoot birds off the trees with our sling shots.

Corn field is gone now and replaced with more houses I think.

Still have birds up there? :D

Oh yeah! Sparrows and starlings still adorn the city with their beautiful presence!

Oh yes, much has changed since then. I grew up next to the river by the Toledo Contry Club off the trail and copeland (SP?) by Toledo christan School and OLPH.

Hello Andy and y'all!

I also grew up in Toledo; 5 corners area not far from Mancy's. I work in downtown near 5/3 field and I live out in Wood County now. There's a great LHBS (Local Home Brew Store) called Titgemeiers on Broadway just south of the trail. They are knowledgeable there.

To answer your question you will be mixing your ingredients in your bucket and letting it ferment there. Then you will rack (or transfer, if you will) to the glass carboy to age and mellow out. Then you'll transfer to a bottling bucket (uses the spigot) to fill bottles.

I also work by the 5/3 field on Perry street. Matter of fact, right now Im looking out my window at my desk and I see frickers front door. Small world. Maybee we should grab a brew at firckers, dirty bird (old jeds), or something sometime for lunch.. I just moved out of my parents place to a house I just bought in the byrne and heatherdowns area. I know the southend very well. I used to commute down Broadway everyday when I live at my parents house. I will have to check out Titgemeiers. Where abouts on broadway is it located? Closer to downtown? There is another shop in the shopping center at eastgate and heatherdowns I was going to check out. Just have not had the time.

I have been doing alot of research. Is there a need for the glass carboy? I mean if mix everything up in the bucket to ferment, let it ferment, cant i just bottle it then and let it age in the bottles? or is it cursial to age it in the glas carboy. Just seems like alot of work to siphon 2 extra times to bottle..

Oh yes, much has changed since then. I grew up next to the river by the Toledo Contry Club off the trail and copeland (SP?) by Toledo christan School and OLPH.

I also work by the 5/3 field on Perry street. Matter of fact, right now Im looking out my window at my desk and I see frickers front door. Small world. Maybee we should grab a brew at firckers, dirty bird (old jeds), or something sometime for lunch.. I just moved out of my parents place to a house I just bought in the byrne and heatherdowns area. I know the southend very well. I used to commute down Broadway everyday when I live at my parents house. I will have to check out Titgemeiers. Where abouts on broadway is it located? Closer to downtown? There is another shop in the shopping center at eastgate and heatherdowns I was going to check out. Just have not had the time.

I have been doing alot of research. Is there a need for the glass carboy? I mean if mix everything up in the bucket to ferment, let it ferment, cant i just bottle it then and let it age in the bottles? or is it cursial to age it in the glas carboy. Just seems like alot of work to siphon 2 extra times to bottle..

No kidding small world! I'm just over on Erie between Washington & Monroe! Yes we will sometime for sure!

Oh crap, I'm an idiot. Titgemeiers is on -Western- (not Broadway, duh!) between Broadway and the Trail. You can get there in less than 5 minutes from your office.

No there is no need to transfer to a secondary carboy, but it's better to let it age in one and not be laying on the old yeast (sometimes called a 'cake'). You
are fine to let sit in the primary but you may want to think about getting a carboy on down the line as your hobby takes off. I'm just a Mr Beer brewer and everything stays in primary for the entire time.

Back