New Brew Fever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblack138

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing & new to posting here, though I've frequented these forums for many months. I've gained many useful tips, but they all seemed to fly out the window when I brewed my first beer.

The excitement & uncertainty of what I was doing has lead to a fun learning experience. I brewed a Brewer's Best English Pale Ale kit 4 weeks ago. I followed the directions to a T, but I've learned to bend them a bit. The directions say to ferment for 1 week then bottle for 2 & enjoy. I left it in primary for 2 weeks & couldn't take it any longer so I bottled it. It has been 2 weeks since bottling day & the wait is killing me!

For all the experienced brewers out there, do you still get anxious to try a new batch of beer to see how it's going to turn out?

Welcome to the obsession, and to the forum! I'm anxious to try the next one every time, that never changes. It's easier if you have plenty of beer ready though, so make sure you brew again soon, and often.

I'm new to brewing & new to posting here, though I've frequented these forums for many months. I've gained many useful tips, but they all seemed to fly out the window when I brewed my first beer.

The excitement & uncertainty of what I was doing has lead to a fun learning experience. I brewed a Brewer's Best English Pale Ale kit 4 weeks ago. I followed the directions to a T, but I've learned to bend them a bit. The directions say to ferment for 1 week then bottle for 2 & enjoy. I left it in primary for 2 weeks & couldn't take it any longer so I bottled it. It has been 2 weeks since bottling day & the wait is killing me!

For all the experienced brewers out there, do you still get anxious to try a new batch of beer to see how it's going to turn out?

Yup, at first....but when you have your pipeline full you can slow down the excitement a bit and give your biers 3 in the primary and 3 in the bottle.

Thanks guys! I couldn't handle it & brewed a second beer 2 days ago. I feel really good about this one because I got to do things I had forgot to do rhe first time around. This new one is definitely getting 3/3 before I crack one open.

The first brews are the most difficult. Get another fementer or three and brew more. Once you have a bunch a beer around, then the waiting is easy.

Simple solution....brew more.

Thanks guys! I couldn't handle it & brewed a second beer 2 days ago. I feel really good about this one because I got to do things I had forgot to do rhe first time around. This new one is definitely getting 3/3 before I crack one open.

Learning is occurring. Haha

It gets easier everytime you brew. I have only done 2 batches but second on went very smoothly. I found a good checklist on brewers friend that really helped me prepare for my brew day and you won't miss something that is important. They also have a recipe worksheet where you write down pretty much everything from the recipe to the og fg price of ingredients etc. my first batch I kind of just brewed on a whim. After my first beer was bottled I started my second. While my first beer was fermenting I spent a lot if time on here soaking in as much info as I could and started planning my second batch. Biggest thing is plan properly.

Glad you delurked and joined in the fun!

Now that we've been brewing a couple years, the anticipation of a new recipe is still there, but not in a frenetic way. It's always fun to try a new brew and see how it turns out and how you'd change it the next time to make it suit your own tastes!

Keep good notes and make checklists. KOTC has a binder and he keeps all the recipe, mashing/sparging, brewing, fermenting, and tasting notes in there. Makes it nice to refer back to what you've done previously.

Most important thing - HAVE FUN! If you make a boo-boo, learn from it and move on. It's a HOBBY after all! :)

I made a checklist that feel very happy with to use for my brew day. That along with Brewer's Friend & my 2nd brew day went extremely smooth.

I brewed an IPA this time. Right now it's a matter of calming down & trying not to get too far ahead of myself. Just have to remember to write down my ideas so I can brew them in the future.

Haha yeah waiting sucks although it makes your beer taste even better :p

I only have the capacity to brew 2.5 gallon batches - usually enough to last me ~2 weeks. I've been brewing an all grain batch every weekend for the past 4 weeks in order to stock up on some extras.

Back