New Bay Area Home Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian

Reaction score
Should of does this in the Intro forum. Anyways question, I have had some dry rice extract and dry malt extract. It has been sitting for a long time maybe at least a year. The malt is really hard. Just toss them? Or are they still usable? Thanks

Glad I found this forum! I am a casual beginner brewer I only have four batches under my belt. Two good ones, one drinkable and one that only the drain could drink :p I sort of quit brewing over the last year or so. I have a few "kits" that I bought from the beverage people I want to do again. I do want to start trying to make batches without buying those kits. So expect some questions from me about that.

My equipment is pretty standard beginner stuff. I purchased a "Deluxe Brewing Kit" from the beverage people. Only thing I have added is another 5 gallon glass carboy. I also have a triple scale hydrometer that came with the kit I have never used and plan on trying it this time. Any tips on that?

About myself, I live in the north bay. I literally work 1 mile away from Russian River Brewery. I am typically their a few times a week, think happy hour :mug: Favorite year round beer is Russian River's Bling Pig. Although Pliny the Elder is awesome 8.0 % ABV can be a little too high for me though :tank:. My favorite overall beer is the Younger, it lives up to the hype.
:mug:

Welcome fellow RR drinker!!! I too agree that Younger lives up to the hype!

I'm not really sure on this.... but I'm guessing that if it's hard or stiff, then moisture must have gotten in with the malt. Not good! Are they still sealed? How does it smell? I personally would probably toss em. Rather spend the extra cash and make sure I'm not wasting my time on a potentially corrupted brew. :)

Its DME, your fine. Its just a pain to work with since its now hard. Just crush it up and your good. That stuff will last forever.

Its DME, your fine. Its just a pain to work with since its now hard. Just crush it up and your good. That stuff will last forever.

Thanks! How about the hops? They are sealed in what looks to be a uv resistant bag? Either way its vacuum sealed and has not seen the sun.

Thanks! How about the hops? They are sealed in what looks to be a uv resistant bag? Either way its vacuum sealed and has not seen the sun.

I know that the LD Carlson hop pellets I buy in those lil pouches is nitrogen purged when being vacuum sealed. But they still say that they should be kept frozen. Hard to say how much of the oils are still good in the hops. They do break down over time,but freezing is supposed to slow down this process. Only one way to really know...:drunk:

Hops are a hard one. I would get new hops and throw these in the boil too. Can never have to many hops :)

Hops are a hard one. I would get new hops and throw these in the boil too. Can never have to many hops :)

Thanks! Sounds right i'll just buy some more and use these too. Hopefully ill catch you at RRB and ask you a bunch of questions I have. In exchange of a Pliny of course :mug:

Back