New All Grain set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregonducks10

Reaction score
I am currently making a switch to all grain brewing from extract. I am getting a 10g Blichmann Boilermaker as a gift. What else should i get for a cheap way to do all grain. Thinking i'll get the false bottom for the boilermaker. Anyone have good ideas for cheap way of operating.

What are you using the Blichmann for? If the kettle, I would go for a good working mash tun. It's cheap to build, cooler with a manifold, but a piece that needs to be planned well. Most problems I have had and have seen are centered around sparging, efficiency, etc. If you've got the mash tun already, get working on a recirculating system. Very nice for vorlauf and clarity.

i was thinking of using the Blichmann for both mash and kettle. I was thinking i could mash in then drain and sparge into my bottling bucket and clean out the Blichmann again to boil. Would this work very well or would it be a problem?

unless your going biab that plan will get old real quick. i second a decent mash tun, there are some awesome write ups in the diy section and nows the time to buy coolers.

I think BIAB is a great way to get started doing all grain and would cost you a couple bucks extra (5 gallon paint strainer bag from home depot). If you want to save up a little extra cash over a month or two you can build a cooler mash tun anyways. I bet though that you will find after doing a few BIAB you wont need or want to build a mash tun. That is what happened to me, I got a keg that was going to be converted to a mash tun but did a BIAB first and fell in love with the simplicity.

In your 10g Blichmann you should be able to do pretty much any beer up to 15 lbs of grain with full water volumes. Any beer with more grain you can use a dunk sparge or rinse sparge method after the mash in your extract boil kettle to get your gravity and boil volume up.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/ uses a 10g blichmann and is great resource to learn more about BIAB
http://www.gregstiffler.com/biabcalc/ is a great resource for determining your BIAB water volumes.

I am currently making a switch to all grain brewing from extract. I am getting a 10g Blichmann Boilermaker as a gift. What else should i get for a cheap way to do all grain. Thinking i'll get the false bottom for the boilermaker. Anyone have good ideas for cheap way of operating.

If it is a an option I would try and get the 15 gallon boiler, someday you're going to want to do 10 gallon batches and your kettle will be too small, just saying, you can get a pump if you want, but gravity always works,good luck.

Aside from the MLT already mentioned, I would buy a Corona Mill from Amazon for $20 - $30. You can outfit it w/ a hex head bolt and drive it with your electric drill. Down the road, you can upgrade to a nice roller style mill but you can save some $$$ and the Corona Mill does a nice job. I'm getting 70% efficiency with it and think I can tweak a few other areas to get it even higher.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Chris

Everybody likes spending your money. :D

Start with a paint strainer bag, no false bottom yet, to see how you like it and get your feet wet. Check out my recent photos of BIAB.

I cooler will hold the temps very stable.

Ya, Once you have an 8gallon pot or bigger, all-grain is as simple as a paint strainer bag.

To spend a little more money (and still one of the best options) get a cheap cooler. I bought a 48qt rectangular Igloo for like $19 at target. Remove the spigot, install a ball valve and build a PVC manifold for about $10 in parts. You'll have a full time mash/lauter tun for under $40.

I've brewed dozens and dozens of batches with just a single pot, and a MLT. Just collect your first runnings into a fermenter bucket while you heat your sparge water. Works fine. Sure stainless steel vessels, and automated systems are great (I just pieced together a HERMS setup), but they're not required for good beer, they just make it a little easier.

Aside from the MLT already mentioned, I would buy a Corona Mill from Amazon for $20 - $30. You can outfit it w/ a hex head bolt and drive it with your electric drill. Down the road, you can upgrade to a nice roller style mill but you can save some $$$ and the Corona Mill does a nice job. I'm getting 70% efficiency with it and think I can tweak a few other areas to get it even higher.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Chris

In the Portland area, crushing your own grain only makes sense if you want to customize your crush. You won't save any money. Brew Brothers grain is so cheap, you can't get it any cheaper, and they'll crush it at no extra charge. I just bought their 'virtual' bag of 2 row for $30. Pay for the bag upfront, and they keep a ledger of how much you used.

I use the biab/sparge method in my bottling bucket. Save time try this before getting a mash tun. You would only need to buy a sparge bag. Mine is fine sides, coarse bottom. Got it from brewgadgets.com . Bought a corona mill from Grizzly.com 33$ with shipping/taxes. 83% eff.

i was thinking of using the Blichmann for both mash and kettle. I was thinking i could mash in then drain and sparge into my bottling bucket and clean out the Blichmann again to boil. Would this work very well or would it be a problem?

i'd either go BIAB or build a mash tun. personally i have a gatorade cooler mash tun. but i think i could be completely happy with the brew in a bag method. i just wouldn't want to dump and clean an extra container if i didn't have to.

Back