New 3pc Stainless Ball Valves Leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinokath

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy all. Just picked up a set of these to upgrade the system from 2pc brass.

The ball valves I replaced, 1/2 brass ones from Home Depot, seem to have a 'taper' to them. When you twist them on the nipple, they snug up after just 4-5 turns and are tough to turn any more than that. These new valves don't seem to have a taper to them and the just keep spinning and spinning until the are fully seated against the kettle and don't get 'tight'.

I've tried hand tight/snug with:
- No teflon tape
- 3 wraps teflon
- 5 wraps teflon
- 7 wraps teflon
- 10 wraps teflon

Did the same but applied about 20ftlbs. Did it again and tightened as tight as I could. I even double checked to make sure I was wrapping the tape in the right direction.

I have two valves and both of them do the same thing. Is there a trick I am missing? I feel like an idiot but I spent two hours last night screwing with this thing and am about to do it again!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you screwing it into a male or female with a threaded pipe.

Maybe they're untapered Chinese CraP? Contact the seller for a return.

You can buy good ones for $18 from Bobby at BrewHardware.com. There are others.
While you're there, you may want some Camlocks too... and SS nipples, etc.

I've been seeing posts regarding bad valves lately. Seem there is a bad batch out of China. I'd return them

Thanks all. Started the return process now. After reading up on NPT, it's pretty clear that they taper to seal and require just a few twists of tape to 'seal the deal'. These are clearly not NPT, no way, no how. I was driving myself frickin' nuts...

Thanks for the quick replies!

are your male threads NPT? If they are actually tapered it should still seal. I find they vary in taper from manufacturer to manufacturer. some are even BST advertised as NPT

Maybe they're untapered Chinese CraP? Contact the seller for a return.

You can buy good ones for $18 from Bobby at BrewHardware.com. There are others.
While you're there, you may want some Camlocks too... and SS nipples, etc.

They are Chinese crap. Sent them back and ordered up some from Brewhardware per your suggestion. Great store. Ordered up some other stuff too. Great selection and fabulous prices. Will frequent them more often! Thanks for the heads up.

Back