Netdunio + oneWire temp monitoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobolstinks

Reaction score
I'm finishing up a project that involves a Netdunio, some one wire temp sensors, a wifi adapter, highcharts.js, and jquery.

The goal is to have a pretty web interface for monitoring my brewstand temps. I'm pretty pumped because I just got everything wired, soldered, and coded. So far I'm polling for new temps every 5 sec (i can adjust that to whatever i want) via jquery, ajax, and json.

I like the highcharts javascript library, fairy easy to use and I think it has a polished look.

Future enhancements would include:
SMS alerts (mash temps too high or something like that)
tweeting
suggestions???

Here are full size pics:
http://oi41.tinypic.com/23hr23n.jpg
http://oi40.tinypic.com/2e3qx4w.jpg

Ill post more details later.

Screen shot 2012-01-25 at 8.58.01 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2012-01-25 at 8.57.33 PM.jpg

Charts are nice, but what about a friendly user interface for brewing?

Yeap, Im not sure how far down the rabbit hole i want to go with this. The netduino is the .NET version of the auduino and i think its possible to have these microcontrollers manage pid controllers and fully automate things. I just dont think Im going to want to go that crazy. These charts can be exported to .pdf or jpeg so I can track my brew sessions, plus I wanted something a little more accurate than the dial type therms.

You should go all the way! I am planning my Netduino build as we speak. I'm in the final build stages of my own physical build, and as soon as the control panel is completed (hopefully next week, waiting for the final set of parts to arrive), then I will be able to run a few test batches across the system in manual mode. Once I am convinced that manual mode is working well, I will be automating my system to the max. I want to be able to start a brew session from my mobile phone, so that when I get home from work my strike water is up to temp and ready for the grains to be put into the MLT. Then I would walk away, make dinner and when I get back to the brewstand, the beer is ready to put placed into the fermenter. Everything could be controlled via mobile device or tablet (or laptop) through a web front end that connects to the Netduino.

There is some sample code on google, Lazy Ass Brewing System, which is a Fez Cobra implementation by someone else on HBT. He also controls the entire system, which gives us Netduino guys at least a head start with some of the logic. I have yet to look at his code, but I will probably look through it if I get stuck. I'm pretty excited to finally have the time and energy to finish this project. It has been in the works for almost 2 years now, but it was derailed for almost 9 months for lack of time and funds.

I'd be happy to share code or ideas if you decided you wanted to go full automation with it.

You should go all the way! I am planning my Netduino build as we speak. I'm in the final build stages of my own physical build, and as soon as the control panel is completed (hopefully next week, waiting for the final set of parts to arrive), then I will be able to run a few test batches across the system in manual mode. Once I am convinced that manual mode is working well, I will be automating my system to the max. I want to be able to start a brew session from my mobile phone, so that when I get home from work my strike water is up to temp and ready for the grains to be put into the MLT. Then I would walk away, make dinner and when I get back to the brewstand, the beer is ready to put placed into the fermenter. Everything could be controlled via mobile device or tablet (or laptop) through a web front end that connects to the Netduino.

There is some sample code on google, Lazy Ass Brewing System, which is a Fez Cobra implementation by someone else on HBT. He also controls the entire system, which gives us Netduino guys at least a head start with some of the logic. I have yet to look at his code, but I will probably look through it if I get stuck. I'm pretty excited to finally have the time and energy to finish this project. It has been in the works for almost 2 years now, but it was derailed for almost 9 months for lack of time and funds.

I'd be happy to share code or ideas if you decided you wanted to go full automation with it.

Although it would admittedly be cool, I can't justify the added time or money required for fully automating a home brewery to the point where everything is hands free. The nerd in me agrees that kicking a brew session off from my phone from anywhere in the world is appealing, however I don't see myself actually doing that in reality (something about ~10 gallons of boiling water, 3x 200K btu burners on autopilot, and my house just doesn't add up). Don't mean to be a kill joy, the netduino is a capable device if automation is your bag, but that level of automation isn't something i desire at this moment in time. Good luck with your project.

Besides, I don't want my brewstand to pull a SkyNet on me ;)

List the parts and pics!!! I was thinking of doing something similar and have put the project on the back burner. Was worried it would get a little pricey plus i have not found an excuse to just buy the parts needed.

Latest posts

Back