NEMA 6-30 Receptacle on a 30amp GFCI breaker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing for several years on a HERMS with a 30amp 240v controller. The controller was connected to a 4 wire NEMA 14-30 plug / receptacle.

I recently sold this system and ordered a 240v Brewzilla Gen 4. The Brewzilla comes with a 3-wire NEMA 6-30 plug.
48148.png

If I replace the receptacle on the wall to use this plug, I assume I'll have to cap off the neutral wire.

My question is, will the GFCI breaker still operate as intended without the use of the neutral wire?

Though you will not have a neutral connection to the (new) load, you still need to connect the GFCI's neutral wire back to the load center neutral bus for the GFCI to operate correctly...

Cheers!

Though you will not have a neutral connection to the (new) load, you still need to connect the GFCI's neutral wire back to the load center neutral bus for the GFCI to operate correctly...

Cheers!
That’s what I assumed. I was planning to keep the breaker as it’s installed and simply cap the neutral wire at the receptacle.

So the gfci should still work?

Ryanj,

I too have the brewzilla with the 6-30 plug (3 wire, no neutral). I also bought a GFCI 30amp breaker. I have no neutral running TO the breaker from the nema 6-30 receptacle. But there is a neutral wire pigtail coming off of the breaker. Did you run this to the ground bar in your sub panel? Have you successfully used the brewer using this setup?

Ryanj,

I too have the brewzilla with the 6-30 plug (3 wire, no neutral). I also bought a GFCI 30amp breaker. I have no neutral running TO the breaker from the nema 6-30 receptacle. But there is a neutral wire pigtail coming off of the breaker. Did you run this to the ground bar in your sub panel? Have you successfully used the brewer using this setup?
You connect the white pigtail to the neutral bus in the sub-panel, not the ground. Should you ever convert to four wire, the load neutral wire connects to the center terminal on the GFCI breaker, not to the neutral bus in the sub-panel. Ground and neutral should not be connected in the sub-panel.

Brew on :mug:

Back