NEIPA troubles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevDroz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First off, let me say that I am not even close to an expert brewer having only been brewing for about 18 months. With that said I am an extract brewer with several American Lights and Ambers, as well as a Pilsner, Cream Ale and an IPA, all being in the realm of easy to intermediate. I decided, at the constant pestering from a friend who is originally from the Boston area, to brew a NEIPA. I brewed it yesterday and I know it is probably too early to tell, but I think something went wrong. I used the Brewers Best extract kit with is an advanced kit. I was very vigilant with my grains and keeping the temperature according to the recipe. Now where I feel someting went wrong is when I transferred to my Catalyst Fermenter, it appears everything settled right to the bottom. Now I know this is supposed to happen but in past brews it has taken at least a week to settle, and I have zero activity taking place. I have my Tilt hydrometer saying the OG is right in the specified range and the temperature is spot on.

Perhaps I am just jumping the gun here a bit with the concerns and I am definitely going to try and wait it out. I just wanted to see if anyone has had this happen to them.

Thanks

I am using the yeast supplied with the kit, American East Coast Ale Yeast.
What temperature is she at?

"Lallemand" said:
Lag phase can be longer when compared with other strains, ranging from 24-36 hours.
https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/lalbrew-new-england/
From what I understand she is the "dry version" of WYeast 1318, which herself is an excellent NEIPA yeast.

Now with liquid yeast we usually prepare a yeast starter, ahead, then pitch 200-250 billion cells for a 5.5 gallon batch. With a starter WY1318 usually has lift off within 12 hours at 66-68F, but even as short as 3 hours (using a "vitality starter" and thorough wort oxygenation).

Your settling today is probably trub from fermenting - proteins, hops you used, etc. The settling you describe a week or so out is that stuff + the yeast as well.

Off the top if you haven't seen any activity in like 48 hours, it might be time to go get more yeast to pitch. Look for anything though, bubbles inside on the surface, krausen, etc. You may not have airlock activity if you have a leak but still be fermenting. I suppose your tilt will help there.

Here is a follow-up...... Temp is at 70 degrees and after about 72+ hours fermentation is taking place, and rather aggressively I might add.
Now she's working, maybe drop the temps a little to 66-68F... You don't want to make rocket fuel!

Also fermentation is exothermic, it generates heat. The sides of the fermenter may well be a few degrees lower than in the center area. Use a water jacket to keep internal temps more constant while drawing off excess heat quicker.

Latest posts

Back