Neeed some pointers on Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiz54

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My buddy asked me to make a red Ale with some pumpkin spice in it. To which I said no problem :ban:, but I do have some questions for you all in regards to what is the best way/technique for making a pumpkin spice ale. keep in mind this will be a red ale. Should I just ad pumpkin spice right into the boil? Should I use Canned Pumpkin? Or should I make my own spice mixture? Whats the best way to avoid any kind of chalkiness that spices can leave in a beer? Also if I go with Canned pumpkin Do I want to try to strain the pumpkin out as much as possible or rack it off into a secondary? Well thanks guys. :mug:

Brandon

Here's what I do for my pumpkin ale, but it's a brown ale not a red ale. The way I like to do it it only works in all grain...

1 Baking Pumpkin - Bake at 350F for 45 Add flesh to mash

2lb Rice hulls
7.5lb US 2-row
1.79lb Crystal 60L
0.89lb Biscuit
0.36lb Flaked Wheat

1oz EKG @ 4% for 60min

1 tsp ground cinnamon for 5min
1 tsp McCormick Pumpkin Pie Spice for 5min

Mash 60min @ 154F

OG: 1.053
FG: ~1.017
Color: 14.9
IBUs: 15

consider adding spice with 15 minutes left in the boil at flame out and as a tea when bottling to keep flavor and aroma.

Back