Need Yeast Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJtarheel

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a 5 gallon batch of Chinook IPA (extract) on Sunday. According to the kit directions, I should activate the Wyeast 3 days in advance and leave it out of the fridge for the package to swell. I am looking at the Wyeast directions and it says that it needs only 3 hours or more at 70-75 degrees to incubate before pitching.

Should I wait three hours or three days? Thanks!!!

Just smack the pack and let it rise. By the time you finish your batch it should be good to go. What's your O.G.?

What i do is take it about maybe a half hour before you start the whole boil process, slap it to break the nutrient package then let it swell as your brewing the beer. The swelling is just an indication that the yeast is a live and well.

Ive used several smack packs with the same process explained above and never had a problem.

enjoy!

I am getting ready to brew a 5 gallon batch of Chinook IPA (extract) on Sunday. According to the kit directions, I should activate the Wyeast 3 days in advance and leave it out of the fridge for the package to swell. I am looking at the Wyeast directions and it says that it needs only 3 hours or more at 70-75 degrees to incubate before pitching.

Should I wait three hours or three days? Thanks!!!

I would make a starter with it since you have a couple of days. Mr. Malty says you need 175 billion cells for that brew. Your smack pack contains around 100 billion cells and depending on the date of that pack, the viable cells will be less. Though, your yeast will still take off eventually, you are underpitching. A starter would help with lag time, and you should get in the habit of doing starters anyway. It is a good brewing practice to learn.

+1 on a starter

I bottled a chinook IPA kit (northern brewers) last week. Made a starter for the first time on this brew (1/2 gallon). By far this is the best brew I have made to date. You picked a good kit.

To answer your question however, with a Wyeast smack pack I find they fully balloon in about 2-3 hours.

I make starters for nearly every beer now but when I used to pitch just the pack I would smack it the night before. Then you know before you start brewing if there's a problem with the yeast.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/

http://www.mrmalty.com

Yeast starters grow your yeast to the proper pitching amount. The first link will show you how to do it (it's incredibly easy) and the second link has a lot of good info on yeast and fermentation. There is a yeast pitching calculator on the second link as well that will tell you how big of a starter you will need based on the age and type of your yeast and the gravity of your wort.

Back