Need to Vent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyWit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been making the transition to an indoor electric brewery one piece at a time. I am using the Tower of Power and the RIMS rocket. I had my 240v outlet installed next to the back door of my walkout basement which gives me the option to transition outside for the boil. I like the flexibility I get with the TOP for this reason. Even after I get everything set up indoors, I have the option to brew outside when the weather is nice.

Now that I have all my gear and the 240v circuit, the next step was to get the ventilation piece setup. I picked up a Viking hood/fan box on Craigslist for $200 and finally got the courage to drill a 10" hole through my house to install it. I don't have it wired up yet but I documented the project in pics so I wanted to share. Drilling the hole ended up being the easy part but the ducting was a pain in the butt. The fan box has a 10 3/8" opening while the hood opening is 9". I wanted to use flex duct so that the externally mounted fan transitions as little vibration as possible to the hood. Using 10" flex duct, I had to slice one end to wrap it around the larger opening and then repair it with Venture tape. For the hood side, I fought with trying to attach the duct for a while before I realized that I didn't really need to. I attached the duct to the wall with gorilla tape which is actually pretty thick so it doubles up as a gasket. Now I just need to get it wired up and prey that the electric works! If not, I figure the hood alone is worth $200 and I'll have to replace the fan. :mug:

First Hole.JPG

Hole View to outside.jpg

View After fan box installed.JPG

Duct Finish.jpg

Hood & Table.jpg

Brewery RIMS 2.jpg

That looks awesome!!! Job well done my friend. The only part that sucks is that I'm not there to enjoy some of your great homebrew lol!

Latest posts

Back