Need Suggestions On Purchasing A Good Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
I currently have a regulator/set-up that doesn't exactly thrill me. It works but I know there is better.

I have seen tons online but rather get opinions from the community. Looking for any suggestions on what you think is 'top tier'.

I had a cheap one that came with a low end 2 keg setup. It was extremely hard to adjust then it crapped out. I replaced it with a Taprite. No problems since.

Taprite is my preferred brand, and it has a built in seal against the tank valve so you don't have to fumble around with lost washers.

If I develop issues with old regulators, or simply need a new one, it will always be a Taprite.

A lot of people mention Taprite. Looks like I may go that way. Thanks fellas!

I had a cheap one that came with a low end 2 keg setup. It was extremely hard to adjust then it crapped out. I replaced it with a Taprite. No problems since.

I have a hard time going down to a specific number with my current one. As in if I'm at say 12psi and wanna dial down to 4psi it's bit of a chore. I have to adjust, wait a few hours and check again to see where I'm at.

If I need to dial down to 4 I'd prefer to do it at ease. But hey, maybe that's part of it. I don't know :)

Regulators are all built pretty much the same.... A needle valve, a metal or heavy polymer diaphragm, a spring, and an adjusting screw. I have numerous regulators for various jobs, mostly cutting and welding, compressed air, etc. I've only once or twice ever had problems with any of them... a leaking needle and seat is the classic mode of failure and is not usually the fault of the regulator, but the result of foreign matter. A sintered metal filter on the inlet prevents this, and many quality modern regulators have one, often built right into the stem, and visible as a metallic substance "clogging" the inlet.
You can spend a lot on a regulator or a little, and the differences are trivial at best. A "quality" regulator is "rebuildable", meaning that they sell parts to rebuild one or offer an exchange program, but the exchange is not cheap..... typically more than the cost of a cheap regulator. Expensive regulators are mostly just "brewing bling"......... They look cool and costly. I personally would invest the money in hops and malt, that new brew kettle or burner you want, etc........

There are several types of regulator, ones that vent, and ones that don't, and of course in the welding world none of them vent. Venting regulators blow off CO2 as you turn the regulator down so the needle settles at the desired pressure.... a nice feature for a serving regulator, or an air pressure regulator. In my world, there are single and two stage regulators...... mostly single stage.

Regulators come with one or two gauges...... the high side gauge is utterly useless, and only provides an attractive symmetrical appearance. It tells you NOTHING useful until your bottle is virtually empty. My favorite regulator (not a CO2 regulator), has no gauges at all, but micrometer type markings showing what your pressure is by the position of the adjusting knob. I have two of them, and they are very accurate, and have nothing to break. Taprite makes some gaugeless regulators, and if I were buying a new regulator for serving, that would probably be my choice. They may not be indexed, but I don't see that as any problem at all.

H.W.

I have a hard time going down to a specific number with my current one. As in if I'm at say 12psi and wanna dial down to 4psi it's bit of a chore. I have to adjust, wait a few hours and check again to see where I'm at.

If I need to dial down to 4 I'd prefer to do it at ease. But hey, maybe that's part of it. I don't know :)

If I am missing something unique to your setup simply ignore my post. If I am at 12 psi with the Taprite I dial down the psi with the large knob on the regulator. Next I will "bump" with a quick pull the pressure relief valve on the keg my gas line is attached to. This should immediately lower the pressure as shown on the gauge so you can get an idea if you need to continue making adjustments or whether you are at 4 psi.

If I am missing something unique to your setup simply ignore my post. If I am at 12 psi with the Taprite I dial down the psi with the large knob on the regulator. Next I will "bump" with a quick pull the pressure relief valve on the keg my gas line is attached to. This should immediately lower the pressure as shown on the gauge so you can get an idea if you need to continue making adjustments or whether you are at 4 psi.

Morrey is this common amongst all regulators? I understand what you are saying to do.

I've had a Micromatic and a Taprite (dual) for about 5 years. I prefer the Taprite. Both have regulated perfectly for me.

Comments:
  • Taprite still looks good, MM has developed some sort of ugly dark oxidation/pitting on its surface
  • Taprite has large red knobs for adjustment, MM has a metal wheel that is a little harder to turn
  • MM has a handy built-in pressure release valve, might be useful for those with pinlock kegs (which have no PRV).
  • MM PRV pull-ring is rusted all-2-hell. I never pull it. Might crumble :)

The problem I have with the Taprite regulator is that it is not as shiny as the Micromatic. :p

The shine doesn't last. Mine is pitted and un-shinable. Mine is probably some sort of plating over brass.

the high side gauge is utterly useless, and only provides an attractive symmetrical appearance. It tells you NOTHING useful until your bottle is virtually empty.

Yep. High-side gauge is useless to me.

Morrey is this common amongst all regulators? I understand what you are saying to do.

I think so, at least the ones I've seen. You have to have a way to relieve the pressure off the line to see the new (lower) pressure you have dialed in. If the original pressure is "bleeding off" on its own and it lowers within a few hours, I think you have a leak.

If you go up on the pressure, your gauge will see this increase w/o bleeding pressure since you are increasing.

I like the Taprite since it has a big knob that is easy to adjust while sitting in the back of a kegerator with kegs in front as mine is setup.

Back