Need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBeer

Reaction score
I just racked a pumpkin spice ale into secondary fermentaion. I tasted it and it's not quite where I want it to be. I added 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice at flame out. I'm thinking about adding another 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and maybe a tablespoon or 2 of vanilla extract in with it . Any thoughts?

This will also be my first competition brew so I need some help!

When I did a winter spiced beer I took about half a cup of the beer heated it up and did a french press with the vanilla and spices and it worked out pretty well.

I just let it sit with the vanilla and spices until the beer cooled down and then added the spiced beer back in.

I added 1/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice and 1 vanilla bean into the secondary so we'll see how that turns out

If this is a 5 gal batch, a single vanilla bean and 1/4 tsp spice won't give you much. You might try adding some vanilla extract and boiled pumpkin pie spice in the bottling bucket. Do small additions until you get the flavor you want. These flavors will also fade pretty quickly once bottled.

I like to make a tincture with my spices. Measure out 1-2 tsp spices and add to 1 cup of vodka or everclear. Wait a week. Strain through a coffee filter and add to fermenter.

Back