Need more orange flavor/armoma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
hey gang,

I have a Belgian Wit where I used a good dose of Coriander, Bitter and Sweet Orange peels and what I now have is well... lemon. Can't explain why but that's what I have.

So at this point, what is the best way to get orange into it? Or will I be fighting the lemon and create something not to desirable?

Here is the recipe

Thanks, Rick
Belgian Wit.png

its probably because of the Amarillo is overpowering the (sweet)orange peel.
When I made my Moon Over Miami ,I used Apollo (0.25oz @ both 60 and 15 mins)and US-05
When I made my Tangelo Pale Ale I used Citra (0.5oz@60 and 0.5oz @15),Mosaic (10z @30)and Hallertauer (1oz @45 min)and W-34/70
Both recipes I used fresh zest .TPA I used juice . I also used some lime zest .

Interesting, Hoplist shows "Amarillo™ VGXP01 hops are used worldwide where its ultra-high myrcene content creates a delicious orange citrus flavor."

Which is why I used it

Oh well

Amarillo tastes like orange citrus to me. And it's definitely one of my favorite hops.

Both acidulated malt AND lactic acid in the mash looks a little weird. Perhaps the lemony flavor came from the acidulated malt? Unlikely.
Beside that, the recipe looks fine. I've never used orange peel or coriander though.

If you want orange flavor like fresh orange juice and orange marmalade, I suggest you use Voss kveik and ferment at 90°F.

That’s a lot of acid. Is your water high in bicarbonate? I’m thinking this might be contributing to the lemon.

Find some oranges. Soak in star San, zest a few ounces. Put the zest in a hop bag and toss it in the beer. You will have plenty of orange flavor and aroma.

hey gang,

I have a Belgian Wit where I used a good dose of Coriander, Bitter and Sweet Orange peels and what I now have is well... lemon. Can't explain why but that's what I have.

So at this point, what is the best way to get orange into it? Or will I be fighting the lemon and create something not to desirable?

Here is the recipe

Thanks, Rick
View attachment 638642
Replace the acidulated malt with rye malt. It can add a nor in depth "orange" flavor at the base.
Also, what yeast are you using?

Thanks Johnny, I'll give that some thought on the next round

I didn't capture the yeast, my guess is, it was from White Labs since that is about all I use, so maybe WLP410?

As for Lactic/Acid malt, I typically use the EZ Water Calculator and after checking it, ph should have come in at 5.5 and my recipe aligns with the amounts.

Thanks for the replies

Back