Need keggerator help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonWB

Reaction score
Ok guys. I need some help and ideas here. I have a side by side fridge that I converted and built into my keggerator. I'm generally running one commercial keg and one home brew. The system worked perfectly for about 1.5 years and in the last couple of months has really started acting up and sending out nothing but foam from the faucets. My lines are about 7 feet. I'm running 10-11psi. Taps are about 20" above the kegs. Fridge internal temp is 38.8 and liquid measurements of water that sits right by the lines and faucets in the fridge also registers 38-39 degrees. All serving lines run inside the fridge to the faucet shanks. However, when pouring lately, the beer comes out of the faucet at 49-52 degrees and is nothing but foam. How is that possible and anybody got any suggestions other than buy a new fridge? The fridge and freezer are set to the coldest setting. (Sorry for the food and other stuff in the fridge pic, it's also used for more than just beer. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495817152.191862.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495817073.699302.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495817297.648131.jpg

Is it just the first pint that's coming out warm and foamy? Does it pour fine after that? If so, it seems likely that your taps/lines are warmer than your kegs. As was suggested, a fan would help circulate cold air up to the taps. But I don't know why this would suddenly be a problem after the kegerator had been working fine for a long time before.

Maybe your regulator is messed up and is over carbonating your kegs.

Is it just the first pint that's coming out warm and foamy? Does it pour fine after that? If so, it seems likely that your taps/lines are warmer than your kegs. As was suggested, a fan would help circulate cold air up to the taps. But I don't know why this would suddenly be a problem after the kegerator had been working fine for a long time before.

If the amount of things other than the kegs and beer plumbing stored in the keggerator has increased, or even if the locations changed, that could have reduced the airflow within the keggerator. This could lead to more temperature stratification than in the past, leading warmer beer lines. Figuring out how to get a fan to circulate more cold air around the beer lines and tap shanks should help.

Brew on :mug:

Ok, so the fan idea makes sense as we have been keeping a lot of food and other beer in the fridge with the kegs lately. However, the strange things is that the first 1/2 of the first pint is perfect and then it goes to 95% foam after that no matter how long I let it run. Seems as though the lines are good and cold, but the kegs themselves at the bottom of the fridge are warm. The cold air comes in from the freezer at the top of the fridge and the kegs are at the bottom so maybe that makes sense. I'll try to figure out a fan idea and report back. Thanks for the help guys!

Back