Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svengoat

Reaction score
I have a vanilla cherry mead that refuses to clear... I followed a recipe here for a 1 gallon batch..
2 lbs of honey
yeast nutrient
2 lbs of fresh cherry's
2 vanilla beans

Montrachet yeast 4 weeks in the primary, 8 months in the secondary...

Bottom 1/5 of the glass bottle is really cloudy .. Should I cold crash? It's like white and wispy I took a sample from a wine thief and it tastes great but don't know why it won't settle?

I racked off everything when I transferred it to the secondary.:confused: I was kinda planning to serve it from the glass but it doesn't look good..

Have you looked into sparkloid?

Have you used sparkolloid yet? If so, how did you find its effectiveness? I bought some but haven't used it, and everything I've read says it takes about 3 months to clear - and it creates a bunch of silt at the bottom of your vessel, which is really easy to disturb. It sounds like it's not worth it at all.

I've used gelatin a couple of times now and it works like a champ - let the gelatin bloom in 150ish degree water for 30 minutes, dump it in, and cold crash for 48 hours. Rack into another keg and it comes out pretty darn clear.

Have you used sparkolloid yet? If so, how did you find its effectiveness? I bought some but haven't used it, and everything I've read says it takes about 3 months to clear - and it creates a bunch of silt at the bottom of your vessel, which is really easy to disturb. It sounds like it's not worth it at all.

Yooper made a comment about it, as I had a peach wine that wasn't clearing. Like you, I bought it, but haven't used it. The peach wine seems to be clearing on it's own after 3 months.

Back