Need help on which wiring diagram is for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goaticus

Reaction score
I'm building a pretty large E-system with 2" RIMS tube, a 5500W Blichmann Boil Coil in the BK and 2 Pumps. I have a couple questions.

First, is it worth having a controller for the Boil Coil? With its 'less than ultra low watt density,' I can't think of why I wouldn't just want it 'ON.'

Second, with the above answer in mind, I am wondering which, if any, from the collection of PJ (or another) wiring diagrams would work best?

I haven't decided on which wattage RIMS element I will use yet. It kind of hurts to think on putting a tiny little element in my huge RIMS tube (huh-huh, that's what she said). However, I think it would speed things up if I could start heating the BK as soon as the element is submerged. Which would mean both elements would be on at the same time. I could live without this ability though as it would be a relatively short.

This is not specific to the boil coil, but any heating element (low watt density doesn't have anything to do with it) if you're only boiling then running it 100% may be fine if your volume of beer is adequate for the element size: A ~5500W heating element is good for boiling 8-20 gallons or so, or possibly more (depending on kettle configuration/insulation, ambient temperature, use of a kettle chimney, etc). If boiling less, use a smaller heating element instead.

Being able to throttle means you can control the vigorousness of the boil to work best for you. It's often hard to know what the right size is as there are a lot of factors involved. Some styles you maybe don't want as vigorous of a boil.

Then there's things like being able to do long hop stands at specific temps after the boil. Without a means to hold a temp, you can't do it.

Can't help you with the RIMS questions ... I prefer (and use) HERMS.

Good luck!

Kal

So, it sounds like I might want to control the BK after all. Still looking for help on this. Thinking a 4500 watt for the RIMS, and my size Boil Coil is a 5500 watt and I'll be running 2 pumps.

Back