Need Feedback on Rye Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnDakotaBrewer

Reaction score
Here's what I've got planned. It's my first attempt at putting together my own recipe, so... wanted to grab a bit of feedback, if I could.

I loved NB/Denny's Rye IPA, and liked the thought of a Rye Imperial Stout. Figured I would try out the soaked oak cubes (vs. oak barrel) for $$ reasons.

Thanks for the help!

Rye Imperial Stout - All Grain

Ingredients:

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) - 61.1 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Rye Malt - 13.9 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L - 11.1 %
8.0 oz Black Malt - 2.8 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Rye Malt 2.8 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley - 2.8 %
1 lbs Dark Brown Sugar - 5.6 %
1.75 oz Summit - Boil 60 min
2.00 oz Cascade - Add at end of boil

2 packs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) with starter

Est Original Gravity: 1.091 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.5 %
Bitterness: 74.9 IBUs
Est Color: 39.8 SRM

Mash @ 152 for 60 Minutes
MashOut @ 170 for 10 Minutes
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
60 Min Boil

Secondary Fermentation over Med Oak Cubes soaked in rye whiskey.

(Calculated with Beersmith)

This looks to me like a good start. I do have two suggestions, though.

I would not use two pounds of crystal that is all the same color. You can layer your flavors a bit by adding in different kinds of crystal. Since it's a stout, you can really take advantage of some of the darker crystals that rarely get used (e.g. 120L) and Special B. They'll provide a nice depth of flavor in the "middle" of the beer--dark fruit and caramel notes, as opposed to just roasted, chocolate kinds of flavors that very dark grains provide.

I would also consider complicating your base grain bill a little. For example, consider using a base that is at least half Munich or Vienna, which will add more maltiness. You can also use home-roasted amber malt. You don't want a totally flat base to build on.

Thanks for your input! Am definitely considering some of your ideas. Thinking of a base malt of Maris Otter/Vienna, and changing up a few other mid-range, caramel flavors, as you suggested. I don't want it to get too dark - but is there such a thing as too high an SRM value to be in the style range for an Imperial Stout?

Only other thing I'm leery of is trying to get too cute with too many small additions of different specialty grains/malts - afraid of it coming out "muddled" vs. "complex". Though have seen many authors say that this is a style that you can play around with a little bit.

Latest posts

Back