Need a new scale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamamckay

Reaction score
Just realized my scale I use for weighing hops is not sensitive enough for water additions. Can anyone recommend a good one! Thanks

I've been using this small scale for water additions and measuring hops. It's wicked accurate (bought a standards set as well), the battery life is pretty good and the LCD is easy to read.
Only knock is the buttons are totally chromed so they aren't that easy to read, but once you've used the scale for awhile that's not an issue...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using this small scale for water additions and measuring hops. It's wicked accurate (bought a standards set as well), the battery life is pretty good and the LCD is easy to read.
Only knock is the buttons are totally chromed so they aren't that easy to read, but once you've used the scale for awhile that's not an issue...

Cheers!

I have this scale. It has .01g resolution, but only weighs up to 100g, which limits its use for larger amounts of hops. @day_trippr--does your scale drift? Mine will drift a few hundredths of a gram after a minute or two of inactivity. Not terribly critical for my uses, but it annoys me nonetheless.

Might have to order one like yours--only $17.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I haven't noticed drifting, once it's gone through its power-on calibration stuff it's rock steady.
For such a cheap device I've been impressed how well it's behaved - particularly the battery thing.
My previous little scale never failed to need batteries every other brew.
This one I've had for a year and only changed the batteries recently.

Be aware it's really tiny - way smaller footprint than the scale you linked - if that matters...

Cheers!

Wow! 0.01 gram resolution is pretty fine. But I've found that 0.1 gram resolution is almost always good enough for 5 gal batches. An old triple-beam Ohaus balance is what I use. Analog and very reliable. Physics at work!!

I load my own hunting bullets so I have a digital RCBS powder scale. This scale serves two purposes for me and weighs in both grams (hundredths) and grains. Highly accurate for brewing salts, plus I weigh hops with it as well.

Digital scales can range in price from $20 right on up, but those pricy ones have memories and features not typically needed by the home brewer.

Back