Need a diy cooler/mashtun tutorial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight2255

Reaction score
I've got a standard 40quart rectangular cooler. I've looked around at diy ideas to turn it into a mashtun but upon reading the reviews, it seems that 1 or many of the parts are not foodsafe and could leach out heavy metals. What do you guys use?

I used copper, brass, stainless, and some hard epoxy resin that says it cures safe and harmless. What's a few toxins here and there, anyway? The alcohol in the beer will kill it right?

Copper manifold here with slits that face down... it's an easy build and works like it should.

Thanks maxam....the brass is what I'm trying to avoid as I've heard that box store brass parts are chinese made and thus contain higher levels of lead. Are their decent alternatives that you know of for the brass parts?

Thanks maxam....the brass is what I'm trying to avoid as I've heard that box store brass parts are chinese made and thus contain higher levels of lead. Are their decent alternatives that you know of for the brass parts?

Stainless steel. Get the fittings from bargainfittings.com, great service and prices.

Watts is a common brand name for brass fittings in the big box stores and the company advertises their brass as lead free. I don't see brass as a problem unless you pick it up at Harbor Freight. The draw back is it doesn't handle caustics like stainless. This really shouldn't be a problem unless you plan on cleaning your mash tun with sodium hydroxide.

Latest posts

Back