Need a cheep crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelseasick

Reaction score
can I use one of these $35 hand crank mills on ebay? I don't want to spend more than that.

cheep cheep, but I'm no bird!

Yeah, search on "corona mills" for more info.

Plus 1 on this!

If you have a drill with some umpfh already, then a corona mill, a bucket, and and hour or so to put it all together and you are styling......

If doing more than a partial mash without a drill, however, I'd just buy crushed grain instead.

I used a corona mill for many years. It was a PITA to adjust, but it worked, albeit slowly.
When I eventually upgraded to a roller mill, I saved a whole bunch of time, but didn't gain anything in efficiency or beer quality.

-a.

I used the pasta roller with success for a while. For $13 it sure did the trick - especially after I figured out how to use it most effectively.

Later, decided to treat myself to a Barley Crusher after an unexpected bonus at work. Worlds of difference in speed, but definitely not cheap.

I used a grizzly brand mill. It's cheap and effective. It takes a while to run 10 lbs. through, but it's not strenuous or impossible. I attach it to the counter, put a bowl under it, cover the whole thing in a grocery bag and get cranking. When the bowl fills up I empty the bowl into a bucket and repeat until I've gone through all the grain.

I had/have a corona mill. I upgraded to a roller mill a while back, but the Corona served me faithfully for a long time. I did notice some astringency in my beers, though, that disappeared when I switched. It might be a good idea to look into malt conditioning, so you don't produce so much husk-dust

great help all. I remembered that I bought a crusher/grinder years ago to make fishing chum - but it just sat. Bringing to the brewclub on tuesday to compair bits to use.

+1 more on the Corona style mills. I use one and have no complaints. I do suggest you condition the malt prior to milling. You will get less shredded hulls and a less floury crush. Although it is a ***** to hand-crank one of these mills by hand especially when you're milling 10+ pounds of the stuff.

Back