Natural gas hookup to two burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croy9000

Reaction score
I am looking to build a tiered stand with two natural gas burners. Our home's natural gas water heater is right beside where I plan to put the stand.

Looking at the picture below I took of the gas connection to the water heater, does anyone know if there a T junction type part I can get that will simply screw inline with it? It looks like the brass connector on the left just unscrews.

Also, what other parts would I need to connect to something like this.

3904054102_328b5b26b1.jpg

At the least, you'd need a few small nipples, another tee, and a gas cock.

Basically, you'd plumb the tee in-line with the exiting set-up (do not use the existing tee, that is a drip leg and required by code). The plumb down off the new tee with the gas cock.

You could finish the line off with a Dormont quick coupling to allow a easy way to connect and dis-connect for storage.

I recently did the same thing. To connect between the QD and the burner manifold I purchased a 1/2" LP flex hose with re-usable ends. I bought the hgose and hose ends from a local Propane supply.

You could add another same sized T like you already have with a nipple (2 of them) and ball valve attached. Not sure I would recommend brewing indoors next to a water heater and without adequate ventilation and a Carbon Monoxide detector. Those burners are apparently not easy to adjust and I would look into something like a Hurricane burner which has a great range of heat output (although less of it).

Talking with a local plumber is a great idea if you don't know what you are doing.

I am probably going to get flamed but those large jet burners can be troublesome. You can read lots of comments on them here. I would recommend that you look at something else, maybe a natural gas orificed Hurricane Burner.

Personally I'd follow that flex line back until you hit a hard line. Unthread the 1/2" to flare fitting and valve there, thread on a TEE, and take your new brew stand supply from there with its own valve. I concur with sawdustguy on burner selection. First, even if you wanted the 23 tippers, there are at least two other places to get them at about half the price. Second, if you want ring burners, get the 10-tip ones instead (unless you're working on 20 gallon batches). Third, I think the hurricane burners are probably better because they have an adjustable air gate for mix adjustment.

Thanks for the great input.

On the burner selection. After more reading about problems with the higher output ones, I think I will take you guys advice about more controllable ones.

So maybe something like Hurricane Burner, restrictor plate and screw (no stand) - Burners - Equipment I emailed them about the natural gas conversion and they said no problem, but it would reduce the BTU. I assume it will still be plenty for 5g boils.

I emailed them about the natural gas conversion and they said no problem, but it would reduce the BTU. I assume it will still be plenty for 5g boils.

You don't need zillions of BTU's to boil 5 gallons. There are guys that boil 5 gallons on their 10,000 BTU kitchen ranges all the time.

As a follow up. I ended up with the Hurricane 10" Burner from NB.

And this is how I tapped into my natural gas line feeding the water heater. It has a quick disconnect for my 10' hose.

3929314662_ba83935a24.jpg

I'm not one to normally put down another person's work, but a few comments:

1. Is there a valve somewhere close by in case you need to shut that off, for example, if the QD did'n't seal? I'd probably want a gas rated valve to shut off before the QD when not in use.
2. Gas uses black pipe and fittings, not brass fittings
3. There is a special teflon tape for gas fittings too, it is yellow. Or use a gas rated pipe dope.

Again, do what you will, just don't want you to blow up.

ya, you should add a gas valve in there. The brass will be fine, galvanized would be bad (the zinc coating will curl off and clog orifices). You should replace the teflon with yellow gas tape. Its worth the $10 t make sure its safe.

Thanks for the feedback. The brass quick-coupler came with a prepackaged natural gas line. Something very similiar to this. So I would think that brass was ok.

The other side of that line I hooked into (about 3' away) has a ball valve for turning off the gas. Also I bought the ball valve attachment for my burner.

Thanks for the tip on the tape. The guy at Home Depot gave me the tape. I told him I heard there was a different tape for gas, but he said it didnt matter. Of coarse I know better than to think they always know what they are talking about.

Not sure that having a QD near an existing pilot or burner (hot water heater) is a good idea. You have a flame going in the heater while gas could escape from the QD if it malfunctions. Hopefully a plumber will chime in here!

Back