Natural Carbonation in Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I searched for an answer but couldn't find one yet.

I am about to start my third brew in a few days and I want to try kegging. I have my cornelius 5 gallon and I'm ready to go. I would rather carbonate my keg naturally, not using CO2. I have read up and it seems complicated, but I can handle it. The only thing I don't understand is the part where you alleviate the pressure every once and a while from the ked. Do I still have to do this if I'm naturally carbonating my beer in the keg? Or can I just prime it and rack it in and close it up like I would a bottle?

Also, do I have to by a special tap for it or can I use a regular picnic tap like a regular store bought keg...

Thanks

I wouldn't go with natural carbonation because you'll still have to use CO2 in order to get the lid to seal when you put the beer into the keg to begin the carbonation process.

You wouldn't have to relieve the pressure (and wouldn't want to) if you were naturally carbonating.

The tap will have to be somewhat special. The picnic tap for a store bought keg has a sanke connection on it. Your corny keg will either have ball lock or pin lock connectors on it. You will need a picnic style tap for that keg that has either ball or pin lock connectors on it, not sanke.

i.e. http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_129_371&products_id=1271

Well, as long as you seat the keg with some presure from a co2 tank first then you can naturally carbonate. You can also order this: CO2 Charger

And seat your lid then wait till your done carbonation then use the charger for dispensing. Just don't use the whole 12 grams for seating your lid. That will be about 60psi. You only need about 10psi.

It's a bit tricker this way. I'd still get a co2 system even if you are planning to naturally carbonate.

SkewedAle said:
I searched for an answer but couldn't find one yet.

I am about to start my third brew in a few days and I want to try kegging. I have my cornelius 5 gallon and I'm ready to go. I would rather carbonate my keg naturally, not using CO2. I have read up and it seems complicated, but I can handle it. The only thing I don't understand is the part where you alleviate the pressure every once and a while from the ked. Do I still have to do this if I'm naturally carbonating my beer in the keg? Or can I just prime it and rack it in and close it up like I would a bottle?

Also, do I have to by a special tap for it or can I use a regular picnic tap like a regular store bought keg...

Thanks
I carbonate naturally in kegs very often. Mainly for Real Ale style and fests. Like cowain said, you'll need to have a QD (Quick Disconect) set for your picnic tap. If you're not going to push the ale with CO2, you may still need to seat your lid with a little preasure. Some kegs just seal well without extra preasure but not many.

Wild

Back