NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the hours of reading today. Thanks for posting in detail about your experiences. Two big thumbs up!!! Thanks for the inspiration.

Just finished all 65 pages of the thread, thank you for taking the time to chronicle the ups and downs of the process and best of luck.

I someday hope to give the whole nanobrewing thing a shot. If you wouldn't mind sharing, not including the build costs of the shed, are you clearing enough extra cash to cover the rent of the space and all the materials you use? I am just trying to simplify the business down to the day to day operational basics and cash flow.

If its too private a question please feel free to ignore it, :)

Cheers.

Just finished all 65 pages of the thread, thank you for taking the time to chronicle the ups and downs of the process and best of luck.

I someday hope to give the whole nanobrewing thing a shot. If you wouldn't mind sharing, not including the build costs of the shed, are you clearing enough extra cash to cover the rent of the space and all the materials you use? I am just trying to simplify the business down to the day to day operational basics and cash flow.

If its too private a question please feel free to ignore it, :)

Cheers.

During the summer I was selling enough to cover the rent of the space and materials but now that business has dropped off, it's not covering it. Time to hit up the local businesses and take it to the next level.

The MT looks real real nice. I saw a similar setup go buy on craigs once. It was a 'ice holder' for a bar. Basically a fully insulated stainless vessel like that. Will you need to heat the mash or do you think it will hold temp?

The MT looks real real nice. I saw a similar setup go buy on craigs once. It was a 'ice holder' for a bar. Basically a fully insulated stainless vessel like that. Will you need to heat the mash or do you think it will hold temp?

I'm hoping I won't have to heat it. I'll get the water to the correct temp then wrap the MT with some insulation and it should hold temp for me.

if i read 66 pages in one sitting i should probably subscribe.

Hoss, thanks for sharing all of this.

just sat through about 2 hours+ of reading this. It is great! Still new to home brewing (4 batches this past year), this thread will have me a dreaming for years to come!

I may have missed this, but how long were you HBing for when you decided to go commercial with it and what made you want to do it?

Good luck and much success to you! :mug:

Wow, amazing story :) I have some friends in Stockton, definitely going to suggest they come out your way for a visit, and the next time I'm down to see them, I will to :mug:

just sat through about 2 hours+ of reading this. It is great! Still new to home brewing (4 batches this past year), this thread will have me a dreaming for years to come!

I may have missed this, but how long were you HBing for when you decided to go commercial with it and what made you want to do it?

Good luck and much success to you! :mug:

Homebrewed for about 2 years before getting licensed. Decided to start selling when the response from people who tried my beer at a wedding and at a grape stomp event (my brother's winery) was so positive it just seemed the thing to do. People kept coming up to me and asking where they could buy the beer.
One thing led to another and here I am.

Very cool story, haven't even brewed my first extract batch and I've already been thinking of where this could go. This shows where it could go if you do it right. Good stuff HB.

i just read this whole thing while "working".
Congrats and great job! if you were closer i'd be down there in a heart beat.

Good luck on your en devours!

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, I hope it helps should you decide to go pro.
I just ordered a 55 gallon brew kettle so I can start brewing bigger batches and expanding my market.
If you brew it, they will come. :D

Yeah.....thanks HBHoss!! I read this thread last spring and it got me thinking. Well now I am planning my own nanobrewery. Business license and fictious business name have been filed. I am applying this month to ABC and TTB for licensing! I know HBHoss is a fan of my brewery on FB but if you want to keep track of progress here you go
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018
Thanks. Al

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, I hope it helps should you decide to go pro.
I just ordered a 55 gallon brew kettle so I can start brewing bigger batches and expanding my market.
If you brew it, they will come. :D

Did the 7bbl system fall through?

Wow, i hope your next year (ie this year) is better than last, and continued growth for many years to come.

I have a question though, how is your water supplied to the brewery? Do you just have a hose or did you bury water lines? If you just have a "temporary" service was TTB OK with that?

Wow, i hope your next year (ie this year) is better than last, and continued growth for many years to come.

I have a question though, how is your water supplied to the brewery? Do you just have a hose or did you bury water lines? If you just have a "temporary" service was TTB OK with that?

My well's pump house is right next to the brew house so I just ran an RV hose from the pump house into the brew house through a hole in the wall. I then setup a utility sink in the brew house for cleaning etc.. The drain for it is a simple black ABS piping that empties down the side on my property.
I should run a water line under ground since my RV hose froze the other day which kept me from brewing. Live and learn. I don't recall TTB inquiring about how the water is supplied.

Oh, why do they hate beer so much?

From the Ohio Department of Liquor Control:

Manufacturer Permits:

Permit Class-----Permit Fee-----Description
A1----------------$3,906---------ORC 4303.02 Manufacturer of beer, ale, stout and other malt liquors.
A2----------------$76-------------ORC 4303.03 Manufacturer of wine.

If I had to guess, I'd blame it on the "other malt liquors".

Seems like the government regulations would be a lot simpler if it just said "Manufacturer of alcohol" instead...

I think the fees are probably similar here in GA. We are a 3-tier state but wineries can sell right from their tasting rooms and there are quite a few wineries in the No GA mountains.

Oh, why do they hate beer so much?

From the Ohio Department of Liquor Control:

Manufacturer Permits:

Permit Class-----Permit Fee-----Description
A1----------------$3,906---------ORC 4303.02 Manufacturer of beer, ale, stout and other malt liquors.
A2----------------$76-------------ORC 4303.03 Manufacturer of wine.

OUCH! The health inspector told me that the brewers need a stronger lobbying presence. I suppose they look at beer drinkers as not refined as much as winers.

One more on the list of "read the whole thing". awesome story, and hope you pick up some more accounts/customers this year.

Keep up the great work, subscribed!

Here's a picture of my 1 bbl setup. I'll use Momma Blichmann and Baby Blichmann to sparge the mash tun into Pappa Blichmann :D Haven't picked up the fermenter yet.

1 bbl setup.jpg

OUCH!I suppose they look at beer drinkers as not refined as much as winers.

I fine it "weeners" more fitting in my area.
I can be a Equal Opportunity Offender.
Scott, time to look into a 22 gallon Brewhemoth fermenter, $459 with all Tri-Clamp fitting options added plus free shipping and built like a tank. You can't taste "BLING".

I fine it "weeners" more fitting in my area.
I can be a Equal Opportunity Offender.
Scott, time to look into a 22 gallon Brewhemoth fermenter, $459 with all Tri-Clamp fitting options added plus free shipping and built like a tank. You can't taste "BLING".

I have a 50 gallon fermenter, I just need to go pick it up. Probably this weekend. 22 gallon would be too small since I'll be doing 31 gallon batches.

Swheeeoooowoooo Just read the whole post. Like many others my eyes are drunk. Great story. Great to see how it all started from a piece of dirt to what it is now. I have thought of doing something like this so many people that have my brew love it. They usually say you should sell this hahaha if they only knew what it takes to legally sell it.

I have a 50 gallon fermenter, I just need to go pick it up. Probably this weekend. 22 gallon would be too small since I'll be doing 31 gallon batches.

Scott, give Dale or Josh a shout at Brewhemoth I recall they can also make larger fermenters, very flexible with custom builds just tell them what you want. Worth a try?
Got snow?

Scott, give Dale or Josh a shout at Brewhemoth I recall they can also make larger fermenters, very flexible with custom builds just tell them what you want. Worth a try?
Got snow?

Had snow but it's all gone now. They make a nice looking fermenter. I'll keep them in mind when I need another fermenter, thanks.

WOW!! Just read the whole thread. Im happy to see your progress and am inspired. Hopefully something like this is in my future. Best of luck to you.

Back