Naming of Parts: "Oh, Biscuit = Victory?!?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rico567

Reaction score
I'm not known for being extremely picky, and I'll sub in C40 for C60 before going to the store, but does anyone know of an easy chart-type reference that gives beer ingredients and their equivalents? Even more handy would be what's close to being "in the ballpark" for something else. How many carapils does it take to make a caramunich? :)

well, there are no 'true' substitutions out there. Two different maltsters both making malts that *they* call 'crystal 60' (as an example) will be different products. Sometimes the difference is subtle, sometimes not.

However, as a rough guide, the following products are similar-ish (give or take):

-Honey Malt and Melanoidin Malt (melanoidin is a bit darker, and thus less sweet and more bready)
-Victory Malt, Amber Malt and Biscuit Malt
-Carapils, carafoam and C-10 (depending on the maltster - some actually call their crystal 10 malt 'carapils')
-Crystal 20, Caravienne, CaraRed, Carastan (light)
-Crystal 40, Light Caramunich, Carastan (dark)
-Crystal 60, Dark Caramunich
-Vienna and Special Aromatic
-Aromatic and Dark Munich
-Special B, C-150, CaraAroma
-Carafa and Chocolate Malt (~400)
-Carafa II and British chocolate (~450)
-Carafa III and Black Patent
-Black Barley and Roasted Barley
-Brown Malt, Kiln Coffee malt, and special roast (kinda sorta)

I feel terrible that I don't have the source to credit for this, but I had this chart hanging around on my hard drive. If anyone can lay claim, please do!

maltsequivalences.jpg

Back