n00b Question - end of Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahavta

Reaction score
Hi all, have been reading this site flat out since I started my first batch and have searched for an answer, apologies if I've missed it.

I'm at the end of the fermentation stage of my first batch. It's in the 25ltr bucket sitting on a heat pad.

I've read loads of posts from the experienced brewers here to just leave it, don't rush to bottle, some say to leave it for up to 3 to 4 weeks.

I've had three days solid at 1005 gravity from OG 1035, it's a basic Lager btw..

My question is, if I am going to leave it for another week or two before bottling, do I need to leave it on the heat pad or can I take it off?

The bucket is in the Kitchen, I'm in the UK, it gets pretty darn cold at night, room temp drops right down and it's pretty much sitting on a concrete slab floor so it will get quite cold quickly and stay like that without the heat pad.

I want to be patient and heed the experienced brewers advice, I just don't know what to do with it heat wise for the extra week or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi all, have been reading this site flat out since I started my first batch and have searched for an answer, apologies if I've missed it.

I'm at the end of the fermentation stage of my first batch. It's in the 25ltr bucket sitting on a heat pad.

I've read loads of posts from the experienced brewers here to just leave it, don't rush to bottle, some say to leave it for up to 3 to 4 weeks.

I've had three days solid at 1005 gravity from OG 1035, it's a basic Lager btw..

My question is, if I am going to leave it for another week or two before bottling, do I need to leave it on the heat pad or can I take it off?

The bucket is in the Kitchen, I'm in the UK, it gets pretty darn cold at night, room temp drops right down and it's pretty much sitting on a concrete slab floor so it will get quite cold quickly and stay like that without the heat pad.

I want to be patient and heed the experienced brewers advice, I just don't know what to do with it heat wise for the extra week or two?

sound like your probably done. time to get it cold. for what it's worth lager should be held around 55F (12C) for primary, brought up to around 68F (20C) for a few days when primary is mostly done, then cooled to just a bump above 32F (0C) for an extended (2-4 weeks) lagering period. If you were using a heat pad I'm guessing you were a bit warmer than that but at this point use that cold weather to your advantage and crash it out as close to 0C as you can get it for as long as you can stand it.

Like mort said, if this is a lager you have more to do.

Ales are good in the 60s for 3 to 4 weeks. Then bottle. Lagers need to ferment, bring up for a d-rest then down to lager for a good amount of time.

Was it a lager yeast or ale yeast? The recommended temperatures and fermentation regimens are considerably different. But what's done is done, so to answer your question, after fermentation is complete, letting it condition at a cooler temperature is usually a good thing.
In the winter, with my fermentation area sitting in the 50's, I use an insulated box and a heating pad when needed. With most ale yeasts, I start out in the low 60's, then after a week up the temp. to mid-high 60's. After another week, I turn off the heating pad, let it drop down to the 50's and let it sit for another week or two before cold crashing prior to bottling. Works for me!

Wow, that was quick, thanks for the responses. Appreciated!
Instructions said between 18C and 25C for first 8 days, I was at the top end of 25C for the first few days and for the remainder had it down around 21C during the day and about 18/19C during the night.

I'll take it off the pad and just let it sit then as you have suggested...
It's the patience bit that will kill me, letting it sit for another week or two, however it should be close to 0C without the pad, it is the UK, we aren't known for great weather!! :)

JimRausch - Lager Yeast
It was a very basic all-in-one starter kit with Malt extract in a bag and the yeast in a foil packet that I was given.

Having immersed myself in this site I see there is a whole exciting world out there beyond my simple starter kit..
Baby steps first...

JimRausch - Lager Yeast
It was a very basic all-in-one starter kit with Malt extract in a bag and the yeast in a foil packet that I was given.

Having immersed myself in this site I see there is a whole exciting world out there beyond my simple starter kit..
Baby steps first...

Ah yes. I can still remember my 1st batch- an 'Oktoberfest' kit with Munton's ale yeast. Surprisingly good, and hooked me well into this obsession.
You're making beer and that's always a good thing! Keep brewing.:mug:

Wow, that was quick, thanks for the responses. Appreciated!
Instructions said between 18C and 25C for first 8 days, I was at the top end of 25C for the first few days and for the remainder had it down around 21C during the day and about 18/19C during the night.

I'll take it off the pad and just let it sit then as you have suggested...
It's the patience bit that will kill me, letting it sit for another week or two, however it should be close to 0C without the pad, it is the UK, we aren't known for great weather!! :)

I thought lager yeasts fermented around 10C -12C (50F-55F) ?
I am just a noob myself and have never used lager yeasts but these temps look like Ale yeast fermentation temps - maybe i'm wrong?
I know some "lager kits" (eg the Coopers lager kit) just use Ale yeast.

Typical when using lager yeast you want to ferment around 50 or so (depending on the yeast) until the yeast is about 3/4 done. Then you want to raise the temp to the 60s for a d-rest for a few days then you want to slowly bring the temp down a few degrees each day until you reach just above freezing and leave that for a few weeks.

The 18C to 25C seems more like ale yeast to me.

When fermenting lager yeast at ale temps you will make beer but it might not be exactly what you want. But it will still be beer.

Back