mystery corny keg grommet insert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwoodlock

Reaction score
If anyone has a clue what i need to get please let me know.

I'm new to kegging. Got a new to me used corny keg and the liquid dip tube was further in then in all the other pictures i've seen. I pulled it out, and ripped out and unfortunately tore a grommet. The grommet replacement kits I've seen do not include a grommet that looks like this. Looks like a rectangular cross section o ring or seal of some sort.

Here's a picture of the internal place that held the grommet and of the grommet itself.

I feel like there are multiple parts missing.

Thanks for looking!

20160913_201651.jpg

20160913_201725.jpg

O-rings over the years will take on a new shape after being compressed for a while.
The standard rebuild kits for corneillus kegs should serve you just fine.
For fun, I'm interested. Is that a ball lock or a pin style keg?

Edit:
I see your new. Welcome to the boards

Definitely a ball lock keg from the post orientation.
That is one funky looking o-ring though...

[edit] But that post doesn't look like a typical ball lock post.
I have 14 kegs across four mfgr/models and none of them have that recess carved into the post top.
Probably because the standard dip tube O-ring would disappear into that cavity and never have a prayer of sealing both dip tube flange to riser and riser to post.

I'm betting that thick/square O-ring is a necessary/specific style for that keg...

Cheers!

Thanks everybody. Guess I'm not crazy. I'll try to find a square-ish o-ring to fit in there.

Yeh, it's an old Firestone with a racetrack lid. Check the pressure relief valve on the lid too. They're extremely hard to find, and are usually not in good shape to seal.

I can't offhand remember the keg model. I think it's a Firestone "V Challenger". It definitely takes a square gasket.

www.chicompany.net will have parts, but no good prv's... or I would have bought them all already! Lol! They do have lids with large holes in them, and you install a dome lid prv in it. It's a good compromise.

:mug:

Back