Mystery Coffee Bean Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been drinking the beans that @shelly_belly sent to me. Seems to be perfectly roasted. Two days in a row I thought I got a peanut butter flavor from it, maybe some cocoa. I'm going to say El Salvador. Pretty much a wild guess.

I'm really enjoying it. It's almost gone :) I think I'll roast the other 8 oz myself and compare my roast to his. I get some burnt beans with my ghetto roaster, so I don't expect to improve though.

Oh, so close. It's Ethiopia Kochere Hama! https://royalcoffee.com/wp-content/...e-Hama-Raised-Bed-Tej-Process-Crown-Jewel.pdf

I probably over roasted the fruit and florals out of it but it but it works better for me as espresso at the darker roast.

I'm glad you like the aeropress. I didn't if know if you would because I think you're a volume drinker. But it seems you like your gadgets too!

The other day I roasted some of the PNG beans I got from @jammin. I took them just to the start of 2nd crack where my wife tends to like her coffee. I'll have to check my notes, but it was likely ~15% development time on this, then they rested for 3 days.
This morning I made her a cup in the Aeropress and at first she thought I sprinkled cinnamon on top - the flavor to her was THAT dominant in the cup.
As it cooled a bit while she drank it, she then got a "sweet bourbon" taste from it. Although she admits there may have been some influence from the bacon we had for breakfast. In any case, it was smooth and tasty with zero acidity at that point.
I'll post again in another day after she has another cup to add to this.

Alright @pshankstar, I’m going with Guatemala. It’s that or Costa Rica or Nicaragua. I’m waiting for you to say Mexico. [emoji23]

I like the bean a lot. I’m getting a very smooth cup, balanced flavors, creamy, honey, and some spice to it. I prefer this prepared as an Americano over the pourover. Definitely roasted nicely. Good work!

IMG_4481.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

I’m glad you’re enjoying the beans @jimyson! The “A” Beans were Brazilian and the “B” beans were the Bali Blue Moon. Never roasted the Bali beans till that day. I really enjoyed them too. I felt the Brazilian beans were just OK but nothing special. If you want the exact farm from the Brazilian beans I’ll look up the info later and share back here.

IMG_4600.JPG

IMG_4601.JPG

Now I’m trying an espresso shot with the mystery beans from @passedpawn. Still learning on this machine but it’s a bit more acidic this way verse the drip machine. Still nutty and earthy but more nutty in the espresso.
My guess will be Guatemala! Final answer!

View attachment 618999
View attachment 619000
I’m glad you’re enjoying the beans @jimyson! The “A” Beans were Brazilian and the “B” beans were the Bali Blue Moon. Never roasted the Bali beans till that day. I really enjoyed them too. I felt the Brazilian beans were just OK but nothing special. If you want the exact farm from the Brazilian beans I’ll look up the info later and share back here.

View attachment 619001
View attachment 619002
Now I’m trying an espresso shot with the mystery beans from @passedpawn. Still learning on this machine but it’s a bit more acidic this way verse the drip machine. Still nutty and earthy but more nutty in the espresso.
My guess will be Guatemala! Final answer!

Brazil Volcano Coffee, though if it tastes like it was affected by hot lava, it's my poor process for sure. Roast some yourself and let me me know what it tastes like when roasted properly :)

upload_2019-3-24_17-29-25.png

Taking a stab at the other samples sent by @Br3w4u

B.
I got a woody-nut taste maybe pecan and chocolate with an orange jam finish. Body was heavy ad the cup was clean and complex.
My guess is Colombian.

C.
Smelled and tasted like tomato soup and tea. I keep reading that Kenyans can be described as having a tomato acidity but I haven't had a Kenyan like that. I do remember you posting about an Indonesia Sulawesi that tasted like tomato juice so I'll say that's what this is.

D.
This coffee was rich, bold, clean and well balanced - my favorite of these 3. Taste was mostly spiciness and chocolate. I'm going to guess that this one is from Guatemala.

Taking a stab at the other samples sent by @Br3w4u

B.
I got a woody-nut taste maybe pecan and chocolate with an orange jam finish. Body was heavy ad the cup was clean and complex.
My guess is Colombian.

C.
Smelled and tasted like tomato soup and tea. I keep reading that Kenyans can be described as having a tomato acidity but I haven't had a Kenyan like that. I do remember you posting about an Indonesia Sulawesi that tasted like tomato juice so I'll say that's what this is.

D.
This coffee was rich, bold, clean and well balanced - my favorite of these 3. Taste was mostly spiciness and chocolate. I'm going to guess that this one is from Guatemala.
B was Brazil, very close. C was Columbian and wasn’t my favorite either. D is Indonesian Bali Blue Moon and was also my favorite of the 3. For the price though that Brazilian was a great deal, it was on sale on burmans for around $4 a pound and was still a very nice coffee.

Thank you everyone for participating in this bean trade! I went through the thread and it appears everyone shipped and received their beans. It has been a blast to see what people pick out being completely blind to the coffee. Some have been close and others have been way off too. Its been a great read going through this thread again.

I am enjoying the Ethiopian beans @passedpawn sent me. Much more acidic than the Brazilian volcanic beans and in typical Ethiopian fashion its very fruit forward. I plan to roast the Brazilian volcano beans later this week too, maybe even tonight.

@jimyson, I have attached my notes from the beans I sent you if you are interested. Please don't judge me with my sloppy handwriting, I know its pretty bad. ;) The Bali notes show the same beans roasted the next day for myself to enjoy too. Also if anyone is interested in reading them, well they are there for anyone to enjoy.

I have to say I really enjoyed doing this and would be open to running another round in the second half of April at the earliest. If others are interested in another round please be on the look out, but I will tag the players in this round for sure.

Attachments

• Bali Blue Moon for Jimyson.pdf
    454.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Brazilian Nossa Senhora De Fatima for Jimyson.pdf
    277.4 KB · Views: 18
Thank you everyone for participating in this bean trade! I went through the thread and it appears everyone shipped and received their beans. It has been a blast to see what people pick out being completely blind to the coffee. Some have been close and others have been way off too. Its been a great read going through this thread again.

I am enjoying the Ethiopian beans @passedpawn sent me. Much more acidic than the Brazilian volcanic beans and in typical Ethiopian fashion its very fruit forward. I plan to roast the Brazilian volcano beans later this week too, maybe even tonight.

@jimyson, I have attached my notes from the beans I sent you if you are interested. Please don't judge me with my sloppy handwriting, I know its pretty bad. ;) The Bali notes show the same beans roasted the next day for myself to enjoy too. Also if anyone is interested in reading them, well they are there for anyone to enjoy.

I have to say I really enjoyed doing this and would be open to running another round in the second half of April at the earliest. If others are interested in another round please be on the look out, but I will tag the players in this round for sure.
I’m down for round 2 for sure!

Back