MYSTERY BUCKET...Accidentally mixed other cleaning chemicals in Star-San solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew-ski

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

First off, I apologize for the idiotic mistakes I made to lead to this question. I've spent a ton of time working with both commercial and home breweries, but I've never been the one that was totally hands-on brewer. I'm more of the sales/business guy. That said, I love the business and understand the science, so I thought I'd try home brewing my own batch for fun. The pieces I haven't spent a lot of time with come in the sanitizing realm....

I was short on time and needed to pitch yeast on a few 5-gallon batches of cider. I started mixing a round of Star-San in a 5 gallon fermenter bucket to clean my equipment, hoses and into a nearby carboy. I later planned to use the carboy and the bucket for fermenting the cider.

I know better than to waste Star-San by mixing in a fermenting vessel and dumping, but I didn't have another bucket or sprayer handy and didn't care on this particular evening. I got half way through filling the bucket with with water and 1 oz Star-San concentrate when I realized it was spilling out of the spout at the bottom of the bucket (it was a little loose). Not only did I have to act fast and dive in bare-handed to tighten it with a still pretty concentrated Star-San blend mixing..... but I had to move the bucket from under the faucet and lift it up out of the sink to fix it.

When I fixed the leak problem, I now needed to fill more water quickly (balancing the bucket on the edge of the sink and trying not to get Star-San on my hands), but I couldn't get the bucket back in the sink (under the faucet). So I reached for a nearby utility bucket and began filling...

I was halfway through pouring the first bucket of water into the big bucket when I realized it had bubble of it's own. It then hit me this was a bucket my wife uses for cleaning the floor with Pine-Sol!

I rinsed and rinsed about 10 gallons through the bucket/hose/carboy chain before moving forward. Obviously I was paranoid about several things:

- Pine-Sol in the cider
-Pine-Sol mixing with Star-San
- Rinsing no-rinse Star-San

So...you see where this is going.... In hindsight, I needed: more safety clothing on (gloves), separate Star-San vessel and no "mystery" buckets. I also should have repeated the whole cleaning with new Star-San, but I had already wasted a ton.

I went ahead with pitching the yeast and starting fermentation on 10 gallons of cider in the carboy and bucket.

Should I be worried about my cider having Pine-Sol in it? I know the risk I've run of un-sanitizing my sanitizing....but I'm really just concerned with the Pine-Sol.

Again, apologies for how much of a dummy I've been. It surely won't happen again. I just want to make sure I didn't ruin my cider.

THANKS!

"I was halfway through pouring the first bucket of water into the big bucket when I realized it had bubble of it's own. It then hit me this was a bucket my wife uses for cleaning the floor with Pine-Sol!"

Cool story, bro :drunk:

How did you get from the one bucket possibly contaminated with Pine-Sol to actual contact with any of your beer? Unless I got lost in the story (which could easily be the case) the only vessel that was potentially compromised was that one bucket. How did it get into the other fermenters?

What's in Pine-Sol, anyway? Smells kinda like turps...

Cheers!

Back