Mystery beer from grocery store

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
One of the grocery stores I go to has a clearance bin for beer and wine. I like to check it out anytime I'm there because they often put beers in there that they think are "getting old" and sell them cheap. Things like Orval. Good deals to be had.

So, a couple days ago I stop in and there's a bomber in there. With no label.

I look at the cap, and it's plain gold.

Only marking on it was a $1.29 price sticker.

Well, you know I HAD to buy it! I'm not gonna be able to let this pass! Who could pass up a bottle of mystery beer?!?

Gonna open it tonight.

Let us know what you "think" it is.The shape of the bomber may help? I would get frustrated if i didnt know what it is,like go all out and find out what they discontiued ,just to know if you drank it and didnt know. Ya know? I gotta know,now.Does it have a belgian lip? Blind taste testing sounds like a pretty fun game,really.

Nope. No markings at all. A little sharpie on the cap is all.

2012-04-24_19-30-22_743.jpg

2012-04-24_19-30-30_596.jpg

none of the stores here have mystery bottled beer.

There is a tap house that sells "keg dregs" on thursday night for $3.99 a liter, bring your own growler.
You pay your money and take your chances. :D

It's kinda... overcarbed. Strange.

First pour looked like this:
2012-04-24_19-31-55_901.jpg

Gave it a few minutes to calm down and tried another pour:
2012-04-24_19-39-57_218.jpg

Maybe a home brew found it's way in there. Gold cap, no label, it could have been a sample to an employee. Second shift found it with no label and slapped a sticker on it. Look for clues in the sediment...

Hope it's good, whatever it is.

I've seen lots of the smaller breweries here in the NW using the gold caps. Elysian still uses them? Hell of a price for one of their beers. I really need to pick up some more Dragonstooth Stout.

I second the elysian jasmine ipa.

Fwiw, try their mens room red if you can find it!

Except for the m in immortal, i dont see the m or w in Elasian brewing? At least significantly. A brewery would not mark it with a m or w in sharpie,a homebrewer would or a retail employee, i mean is that even legal really with no label?

Elysian's Jasmine IPA has an unmistakable jasmine flavor. Unless CC noticed it, I highly doubt this was Jasmine IPA.

If you haven't had Jasmine IPA, seek it out. It's outstanding. If you've never tasted jasmine, buy some jasmine rice in the Asian section the next time you're grocery shopping. Try the rice before sampling the beer.

Elysian's Jasmine IPA has an unmistakable jasmine flavor. Unless CC noticed it, I highly doubt this was Jasmine IPA.

If you haven't had Jasmine IPA, seek it out. It's outstanding. If you've never tasted jasmine, buy some jasmine rice in the Asian section the next time you're grocery shopping. Try the rice before sampling the beer.

Had it and it's good, but this isn't that. This tastes like their Immortal IPA.

Jasmine rice doesn't have jasmine in it. How does it taste like the flower of jasmine plants?
I didn't get the jasmine rice flavor in the IPA, are my taste buds worthless or something?

Mystery's pretty much solved - everything's OT now. Regardless of the academia about jasmine rice vs jasmine flowers, Elysian's Jasmine IPA reminded me A LOT of jasmine rice, hence my suggestion.

Back