Mypin TA4 PID question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinky1

Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forum and have a quick question. Just got a brew controller from keg kits and it has a mypin ta4 pid in it. I'm just setting up my electric brewery and just did a trial run plug in to see how everything worked. I set the pid on auto and warmed approximately 6.5 gallons of water to 170 degrees. I checked the temperature against an analogue thermometer and the pid showed 170 and the thermometer showed 162. Any idea how to calibrate the pid so it shows the accurate temperature?

Cheers,

Matt

Look at the instructions and enter the programming menu. Find the temp offset entry and change it to -8.0 degrees. Save the settings and back out.
BTW, I have found the auto tune to be nearly worthless. If you are having problems overshooting temp, PM me and I'll help you get tuned in.

Hello all. New to the forum and have a quick question. Just got a brew controller from keg kits and it has a mypin ta4 pid in it. I'm just setting up my electric brewery and just did a trial run plug in to see how everything worked. I set the pid on auto and warmed approximately 6.5 gallons of water to 170 degrees. I checked the temperature against an analogue thermometer and the pid showed 170 and the thermometer showed 162. Any idea how to calibrate the pid so it shows the accurate temperature?

Cheers,

Matt
what kind of temp sensor are you using?
I have a few mypin pids and they are all within 2 degrees.... I am using 3 wire RTD sensors from ebay and amazon though... 8 degrees seems like a lot.

It's the one that came with my set up from kegkits.com I'll look when I get home. Don't remember the name

Their website say k type thermocouple

K thermocouples are just as accurate as RTDs once you set the offset. To set the offset on your MYPIN enter programming mode then cycle through the options until you see one labeled PVF. It should be set to 0. Change the value to offset your error. If your error is 8.2 degrees then set the PVF to -8.2.

Figured out the offset last night and got it working perfectly. Dialed the temperature in perfectly. That's for the help guys.

Mypin TA4's are actually very reliable and robust. Where you get them is irrelevant.

I think he was making a overall vendor quality statement.

pinky1 - did you buy yours off Amazon or their web site? I've been looking at the controllers on Amazon and some are fulfilled by Amazon.

I initially wanted to get it off their website and contacted him but he said they were pushing all of their distribution off the site and onto Amazon so I ended up ordering it from Amazon.

I initially wanted to get it off their website and contacted him but he said they were pushing all of their distribution off the site and onto Amazon so I ended up ordering it from Amazon.

Thanks, I want one of their BIAB controllers but considering kegkits long term ship history I think I'll wait until they have them set up to be fulfilled by Amazon. At least then I'll know I will be getting my controller fast!

I got their BIAB controller. I live in Canada and it only took about a week.

I got their BIAB controller. I live in Canada and it only took about a week.

Thanks, I'll contact kegkits to see what their ship time is through Amazon and I may go ahead and order one. I already have the wavy CAMCO element and stainless steel nut and I need to figure out how to cover the electrical connections.

This is the controller I'm looking at getting.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K67ZHHS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Is this one the same controller you ordered?
Is it built well or does it look like the guy assembled it in his garage?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the one I got Ya. I was pretty happy with it. Used it a few times now with no issues. I ordered the element kit through them at the same time and I am quite pleased. Obviously there are fancier more expensive options but for the price I couldn't find anything better.

I emailed them yesterday morning and Tom answered this morning.

He stated that if I order off their web site I would need to send in a check and it would take about 4 weeks to fill but if I order off Amazon I would have the controller by the end of the week. This sucks because the web site has the options I want. The controller on Amazon has a twist lock socket and I want to use a dryer plug.

I don't understand this. Why would he promise a controller in a week through Amazon and the same controller in 4 weeks through their web site?

Hmm. Weird. I haven't had any issues with the controller and he returned all my emails right away.

Plus all of that was 4 years ago. Who knows. All I know is it came quick. Was as advertised. And works well

pinky1

I started reading the thread spkguitar posted Thursday and I gave up long before the end because it became the same thing over and over and over again.

I picked up that this was 4 years ago. I'm not saying he's not a crook and maybe you were lucky? I only get to buy my controller once and I've decided that the only way I might buy from them is through Amazon but first I'm going to research their ship history and feedback.

I don't know, wasn't around then.

I noticed you are in North Tonawanda. I'm from Angola NY and graduated from Lake Shore Central High School.

Ya if I had known all of this perhaps I would have gone a different route. But the issue is at least as far as I've seen, is that at this price point there really arnt any different routes save building one myself. Guess I got lucky but either way I'm pleased with what I got so all's well in my brew land

Also building one myself is something I can't do. Haha. I'm mechanically inclined but as soon as it comes to electricity I'm out.

Ya if I had known all of this perhaps I would have gone a different route. But the issue is at least as far as I've seen, is that at this price point there really arnt any different routes save building one myself. Guess I got lucky but either way I'm pleased with what I got so all's well in my brew land

Yeah it looks like you made out ok dealing with him... Who knows maybe he has learned a lesson or two since then.

Small world... I know exactly where Angola is. I used to have equipment I serviced in Silver creek.

Silver Creek is South of Angola. The are was nice until Bethlehem Steel closed down years ago, but that's ancient history now.

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd add my Mypin T4A settings. I have two T4As in my rig, and auto-tuning never worked. Through some research, inout from a friend, and trial and error, the following settings seem to work.

P=0.2
I=1

D doesn't seem to matter too much.

Latest posts

Back