My wife likes blondes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm trying this again this morning. Im using up some grain I had extra quatity of. There will be a little Vienna malt and crystal 10L in it. I'm also switching hops to use up some I had on hand.

The mash started out thin. I didn't run calcs - 1.7qt per pound. I'll use about 3 gallons per sparge and do two sparges.

I'm trying this again this morning. Im using up some grain I had extra quatity of. There will be a little Vienna malt and crystal 10L in it. I'm also switching hops to use up some I had on hand.

The mash started out thin. I didn't run calcs - 1.7qt per pound. I'll use about 3 gallons per sparge and do two sparges.

I'm jealous. Wish I were brewing today...I am working on siding instead:(

I have done one more wheat since I last reported. Clovey flavor to it. Used munich yeast...must have been temp issues. I have since set up a chest freezer for fermenting. What yeast are you using?

What school is your son going to?

Hmmn - things are going sideways as usual. I added too much water. SG is at 1.04 @140F. Should cool down to a little over 1.05 - I ran it through a couple online calcuators and should get about 6 percent ABV If not, it will be beer.

Wife is trying to make ribs in the middle of the process - my fault should have made more progress last night.

Junior is going to Michigan Tech

All-Grain - Bad Melody Wheat, WHH 2nd try

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safbrew WB-06 11.5g dry activate in water
Batch Size (Gallons): 12
Original Gravity: 1.06
Final Gravity: x
IBU: 25
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: medium light
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): ?[x] days at [x] degrees

Tasting Notes:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
32 quarts water initial w/loss to grain (3 gal)
24 quarts sparge water
Batch Size: 15 gal
Boil Size: 12 gal

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50lbs - 2 Row RHAR Barley Grain
2.44lbs - 2 row Vienna Malt Grain
1.22lbs - Crystal 10L Grain
10.00 lb American White Wheat (x.0 SRM) Grain
2.75 oz Cascade pellets (60 min) Hops
0.50 oz Willamette pellets (30 min) Hops
0.50 oz Willamette pellets (3 min) Hops
Calc'd at about 25IBU a tad hoppy for a wheat
2 Pkgs Safbrew WB-06 11.5 g Dry Wheat Beer yeast

Mash Schedule: Main mash with two stages of sparge, sparge(s) approx 3 gallons each.
Total Grain Weight: 21.0 lb
----------------------------

Step Time, Name Description, Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 30 qt of water at 180.0 F, 160.0 F
20 min Mash Out Add 8 qt of water at 200, F 160.0 F (too warm)
add 4 qt of 65 F water hit 150 F
10 min Mash Out Add 12 qt of water at 160, F 150.0 F

Boil and hop. Mix batches of wort to attain good consitent characteristics.

Cool wort, aerate, and pitch yeast in fermenters. .

Notes;
Hmmn 3 pots all with about 4 gallons.
Pot 1 1.075SG @ 140F
pot 2 1.035SG @ 140F
pot 3 1.010SG @ 140F

(1.075 + 1.035 + 1.010)/3 = calc 1.04 @ 140F
Should cool to about 1.05ish according to beer365 SG calc. w/6%ABV

Had trouble with the boil, outdoor grill side burner was acting funny and couldn't find the hose for my turkey fryer... Put all three pots on the stove. Flame out, took a sample off to the side for actual FG, got 1.060 even.

In the end it smells pretty hoppy and the color is a tad dark for a wheat.
Now I'll let it cool and pitch the yeast and then the hard part, waiting.

The wort is really sweet and has a lot of light hoppy taste.

OK,

Ten days in the pot. Added a little table sugar to keep the yeast going last Thursday morning on our way out to vacation. I'm thinking it may not have digested...

Finished off at 1.014 @ 75 deg.

The beer is extremely cloudy. My wife said not to worry - she's had comercial wheats that are cloudier.

Taste test at bottling says we have good potential to come close to the previous batch I was trying to somewhat mimic.

A couple of the last bottles (bottom of the pots) had the caps bulging within the first 24 hrs.

I just put them in our new spare refriidgerator to condition. They're already carbed.

...I may have emntioned - I have a terrible time waiting to taste a batch.

Taste testing the last batch of wheat. Its coming out quite nicely. The hops have settled down and the yeast has imparted a nice sour lemony taste. My friend at the local LHBS mentioned that he thought it might be Bret. I didn't see any funny skins on top or anything. It was only fermenting about 10 days too.

We put up about 11 gallons. I think this is going to be very enjoyable.

..There are a few bottles left. It's actually getting worse. I put it in the 'fridge months ago. If I blindfolded you and told you it was grapefruit juice - the only way you could tell it wasn't would be the carbonation. I filled 7 pint glasses with foam from one twenty-two ounce bottle of this stuff.

... oh, and BTW, I bought parts for my next batch of wheat.

Is there any way to wipe out the lacto? I'm assuming that is what it is, but I guess without bacteriologist and a microscope I'll never be 100 percent sure.

That is like magic filling that many glasses out of one bottle!

I finally made a wheat that was pretty good. I used a protien rest and decoction for the first time. Maybe that made the difference? I used 05 so there was no yeast character but that is what I wanted this time. Yooper scored it for me at 35 so not bad...and my first score ever. Here is the recipe I used:

Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.40 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Ingredients:
------------
1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 6.10 %
9.60 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.54 %
4.80 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 29.27 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.10 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
3.00 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
10.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Safale #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Single
Total Grain Weight: 16.40 lb
Decoction Mash, Single
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
20 min Protein Rest Add 6.23 gal of water at 133.4 F 122.0 F
45 min Saccharification Decoct 2.88 gal of mash and boil it 155.0 F - HOLD AT 155 FOR 20 MINUTES BOIL FOR 20 MINUTES THEN ADD BACK TO MAIN MASH.
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

That is like magic filling that many glasses out of one bottle!

I finally made a wheat that was pretty good. I used a protien rest and decoction for the first time. Maybe that made the difference? I used 05 so there was no yeast character but that is what I wanted this time. Yooper scored it for me at 35 so not bad...and my first score ever. Here is the recipe I used:

Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)
Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 14.40 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Ingredients:
------------
1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 6.10 %
9.60 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.54 %
4.80 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 29.27 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 6.10 %
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
3.00 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
5.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
10.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Safale #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Single
Total Grain Weight: 16.40 lb
Decoction Mash, Single
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
20 min Protein Rest Add 6.23 gal of water at 133.4 F 122.0 F
45 min Saccharification Decoct 2.88 gal of mash and boil it 155.0 F - HOLD AT 155 FOR 20 MINUTES BOIL FOR 20 MINUTES THEN ADD BACK TO MAIN MASH.
10 min Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F

I'm thinking you need to post a picture of your pint here. Do you have a different thread going at all? (I can go look)

I was just about to ask you for your recipe too. Can you write out that decoction step in plain english if you get time please? I have never done one. I have taken first runnings and heated them up more to attain mash temps though.

You have less wheat in you version.

We still need to meet up and trade some beer. My wheat's are almost gone.

I'm thinking you need to post a picture of your pint here. Do you have a different thread going at all? (I can go look)

I was just about to ask you for your recipe too. Can you write out that decoction step in plain english if you get time please? I have never done one. I have taken first runnings and heated them up more to attain mash temps though.

You have less wheat in you version.

We still need to meet up and trade some beer. My wheat's are almost gone.

Well, that beer is long gone but it was good. I friend who loves wheats said it reminded her of Oberon.

The mash schedule is a bit hard to follow. Maybe this will make more sense:

I mashed in to hit 122 with the main mash. After 20 minutes I took out about 3 gallons (the decoction) and heated it to 155. I let it rest at 155 for 20 minutes. Then I brought it to a boil and held the boil for 20 minutes. Finally, I added the decoction back to the main mash which brought it up to 155. Then I let this rest for 45 minutes and mashed out/sparged as usual. That is how it worked out for my equipment anyway.

Decocting adds a bit of time/work to the brew but it seemed to work good. I haven't done another like this since. I just brewed a wheat using a modified no-sparge technique. This seems just the opposite of the decoction as it actually takes about an hour off of the brew. It's not ready yet but seems to taste good so far. Half was racked onto cranberries for my christmas beer.

I am still searching for my perfect wheat. Maybe next time I will try more wheat in the recipe.

I followed a search link to Youtube and after banging around for a bit, found this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj8VNTb4KQo&feature=related]Widmer Brothers Commercial - Where's The Lemon? - YouTube[/ame]

Here's to reliable transportation!

lschiavo

We might be camping in the U.P. in Sept/Oct sometime. My pipeline is drying up though.

Check out my Dark Wheat thread too.

It takes a while to age, but it is finishing quite nicely.

Widmer - Yeah, that was really scary. I was talking about doing a hefe. She says; "Yeah that Widmere was pretty good - it had a yellow and black label."

I clicked on humman brewing's link and there it was in color, black and yellow, just like she described. I guess I brought it home and don't even remember it. We took the labels off the bottles and reused them.

I better get the rice hulls, huh? Stuck mash sounds painful.

I asked my wife how many of the beers we had made - by their name - this morning. She rolled off more than ten!

:D

Well, that beer is long gone but it was good. I friend who loves wheats said it reminded her of Oberon.

The mash schedule is a bit hard to follow. Maybe this will make more sense:

I mashed in to hit 122 with the main mash. After 20 minutes I took out about 3 gallons (the decoction) and heated it to 155. I let it rest at 155 for 20 minutes. Then I brought it to a boil and held the boil for 20 minutes. Finally, I added the decoction back to the main mash which brought it up to 155. Then I let this rest for 45 minutes and mashed out/sparged as usual. That is how it worked out for my equipment anyway.

Decocting adds a bit of time/work to the brew but it seemed to work good. I haven't done another like this since. I just brewed a wheat using a modified no-sparge technique. This seems just the opposite of the decoction as it actually takes about an hour off of the brew. It's not ready yet but seems to taste good so far. Half was racked onto cranberries for my christmas beer.

I am still searching for my perfect wheat. Maybe next time I will try more wheat in the recipe.

Oberon is one of the most noteworthy in my world.

I'm thinking of brewing outside with the burners today. A decoction might not be a bad idea...

Oberon is one of the most noteworthy in my world.

I'm thinking of brewing outside with the burners today. A decoction might not be a bad idea...

Wish I were there with you man. I was working on my stupid kitchen remodel. My brewery has been down too long. I'm going to have to relearn all this cool stuff...;)

Wish I were there with you man. I was working on my stupid kitchen remodel. My brewery has been down too long. I'm going to have to relearn all this cool stuff...;)

I need a trip to da UP. My brother has a chalet at Powderhorn. There's a hot tub and my equipment is portable. One of my favorite places to get a fish fry and a Widowmaker is at Pub-n-grub.

I was going to bottle today. Due to poor planning, I only sterilized bottles. I got a chiller after only nine years. I cut off a piece of my siphon hose p-lanning to replace it before bottling. Guess what I forgot. Not many places to get hose this late on a Sunday.

Heffewiezen! :ban:

I did a warm-up the wort sort of decoction. I didn't get to the point of reduction or carmelization etc, just trying to keep the temps up.

OK, I broke my stand-tube for the second time. The first it was still serviceable if not purrty. It is now gone. I couldn't find any reasonable, or even unreasonable substitute. ....so, I just bottled it.

Two friends gave me advice. One was kind enough to give me a copy of his recipe. His was also a 50/50 Wheat/barley grain bill. I didn't add the flour called for. I have plenty of haze non-the-less. 3/4 oz Sazz at 60 minutes bittering, Wyeast 3068 was called for. It wasn't available where I shop. II did what I did on the first batch though and split the 11 gallons into two fermentors, one with WB-06, and the other with WLP300 (Guess I had used the WLP320 the first time) https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2048876&postcount=29

It tasted very good out of the carboys. The WLP300 was more banana, the WB-06 was more spicy.

They've been in the bottle since Friday and I've been able to resist "tasting" one!

I have a wedding request. My niece wants me to throw down and provide supplemental home brew at her wedding.

I think the WB-06 version listed here is the likely suspect

So I did two batches. One was (2) 5 gallon carboys of blonde. The other was (2) 5 gallon carboys of a Dunkel kit that was out-of-date.

The blonde is probably going. My wife added about 3 cups of blueberries to one fermentor and it really added a nice tart. Both if these got some honey. Both had a very nice "beer for the masses" character. OG was 1.039 mashed at 154F, FG was 1.012

The Dunkel will probably just go on tap at home. One of the carboys didn't seal well. It had a fruit fly inside. There was a red slime starting it was down to 1.005 (?) and had a slight sour like Guiness.

...red slime in beer that was from an outdated Dunkel kit. Infection, or "turned" liquid malt extract? ...or who knows...

The other Dunkel carboy was again very beer-like and finished at1.012.

My son helped decant, my first attempt at kegging.

80% of brewing is washing dishes.

Attachments

• 9c56e2c73d5d8a8d4955eba0a0630f2d.0.jpg
    9c56e2c73d5d8a8d4955eba0a0630f2d.0.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220905_214219.jpg
    20220905_214219.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220905_200936.jpg
    20220905_200936.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220905_211103.jpg