My strawberry beer is very tart.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kricks111

Reaction score
I recently brewed a strawberry ale. I added strawberries to the primary, then also to the secondary. It is very tart. Any suggestions to make it sweeter?

First of all, I agree with the above post. You can just unload your batch on me ;) Who knows, it might be a tax write-off.

Anyways, there's a couple things you can do. You can Pasteurize your bottles (which can be a real pain in the @ss) and back-sweeten with sugar. I think you could bypass the pasteurizing if you add Dark Brown sugar. Brown sugar is made with molasses, so there'll be some residual sweetness after the yeast eats up the sugar. *Note* I'm not sure if this will work, it just seems like it would work on principal.

The easiest (and hardest) would be to let it sit till summer. Time usually heals all wounds, and it would probably mellow the tartness. I can never seem to keep anything long enough to test this theory, but there are many who have.

Back