My Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogambo

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
This is the my first brew of 2019, and it really turnout great. This was a small batch, will definitely scale next time. Without much crap here the recipe.

All grain BIAB / Batch Sprage

Batch Size: 6.0 liters
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.014
Est. %ABV: 7
IBU'S: 24
SRM: 37

Grain Bill:

1200g Pale Malt
0130g Oats, Flaked
0100g Wheat Malt, Belgian
0100g Melanoiden Malt
0100g Chocolate Malt
0070g Caramel/Crystal Malt 80L
0050g Biscuit Malt
0035g Black Patent Malt
0035g Roasted Barley
0035g Aromatic Malt
0035g Special B Malt

Hops: 9g Cascade @ 60mins
Yeast: 5g Mangrov Jack's New World Strong Ale
Mashed @68°C for 60mins
Batch sparge @ 73°C for 15mins

Fermentation temp: Started with 17°C and gradually increased to 22°C

Primary fermentation: 7 days
Cold crashed: 2 days @ 4°C

Result:

Beer turnout really nice. Nice tan head. Balanced toasted, chocolatey and charred notes. Bit of sweetness, crisp and malty flavor due to specialty malts (Melno, Aromatic, Biscuit). Good body and low bitterness. Definitely must try.. Let me know your results if you try brewing it.

Edit(8Apr):
1. Removed "Best' from title.

Cheers [emoji482]

20190320_234914.jpeg
20190316_173021.jpeg

Last edited:
1. Yooper's Oatmeal Stout would beg to differ in calling this the best stout recipe ever.
2. That clear/colorless bottle hurts my soul.
3. You shouldn't need the wheat, aromatic, or melanoidin in that bill. There's already a lot going on there.
1. Correction it's my Best stout recipe. May be many could be better.. Also depends on perception.
2. Agreed on clear bottle. but I always have a clear bottle to know what's going on.
3. Until tried you will never know. I recommend give it a try for a gallon batch

I'm glad you're recipe turned out well, although it looks busy with some unnecessary malts in there.
But calling it "The Best Stout Recipe Ever" on HBT will likely get you trout slapped... ;)
its my best recipe ever. And again until tried using those malts you will never know

Gotta love a little good natured critism.

I have couple of go to recipes that would likely draw similar responses. Thanks for sharing

This is the my first brew of 2019, and it really turnout great. This was a small batch, will definitely scale next time. Without much crap here the recipe.

All grain BIAB / Batch Sprage

Batch Size: 6.0 liters
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.014
Est. %ABV: 7
IBU'S: 24
SRM: 37

Grain Bill:

1200g Pale Malt
0130g Oats, Flaked
0100g Wheat Malt, Belgian
0100g Melanoiden Malt
0100g Chocolate Malt
0070g Caramel/Crystal Malt 80L
0050g Biscuit Malt
0035g Black Patent Malt
0035g Roasted Barley
0035g Aromatic Malt
0035g Special B Malt

Hops: 9g Cascade @ 60mins
Yeast: 5g Mangrov Jack's New World Strong Ale
Mashed @68°C for 60mins
Batch sparge @ 73°C for 15mins

Fermentation temp: Started with 17°C and gradually increased to 22°C

Primary fermentation: 7 days
Cold crashed: 2 days @ 4°C

Result:

Beer turnout really nice. Nice tan head. Balanced toasted, chocolatey and charred notes. Bit of sweetness, crisp and malty flavor due to specialty malts (Melno, Aromatic, Biscuit). Good body and low bitterness. Definitely must try.. Let me know your results if you try brewing it.

Cheers [emoji482]

View attachment 620579View attachment 620580

Congrats!
That’s awesome you dialed in a recipe you like.
[emoji482]

Sounds barf-worthy, but I thought the same thing about a watermelon wheat until I tried it.
I now reserve judgement on all seemingly strange recipes..

Ok. Themadking & Jayjay1976 true or not. but both are intriguing i.e. Jalapeno and Pickle. For the love of home brewing.. challenge accepted.

But few questions

1.how much per gallon is enough..
2.Stout or some other style

i think fermented jalapeno juice would be better....give it some real kick
My dad used to make a jalapeno wine. It was when I was just a kid, so can't speak to how it tasted, but I imagine I would have liked it...

My dad used to make a jalapeno wine. It was when I was just a kid, so can't speak to how it tasted, but I imagine I would have liked it...
It will be sour thats definite. But thing is, pickle is already fermented and would not have any residual sugar (I guess), if any than not fermentable. Also it will not have that original fruit (cucumber) flavor or aroma. Considering these what results would be is intriguing... [emoji848]

Ok. Themadking & Jayjay1976 true or not. but both are intriguing i.e. Jalapeno and Pickle. For the love of home brewing.. challenge accepted.

But few questions

1.how much per gallon is enough..
2.Stout or some other style

The base style was a gose, and I have no idea what his recipe was. I know he only used pickling spices and fermented in a pickle bucket from a restaurant though.

Back