My second try at a Red today, let me know what you think*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halldawg

Reaction score
First one came out great. Just trying to make it better. Let me know what changes you would make. Thanks.

Red Clay Ale 2
Irish Red Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/1/2010
Batch Size: 5.00 gal

Boil Size: 5.94 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 34.04 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 34.04 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.51 %
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.11 %
0.12 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.02 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 14.5 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
1.50 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 12.77 %
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

When I saw the name, I knew it was Ga!!! side note: I stopped by Cannon Brewpub a couple of weeks ago - decent.

As far as the recipe, brew what you like. However, if you are going for style, take out the oats, special B, possibly the chocolate and definitely the LACTOSE!!!

Irish Red is dry. Either that or just call it another style. Switch the Crystal to 80° Lov and call it a scotch ale.

K. Thanks for the input.
Grizz. The Cannon is not bad, just nothing ground breaking. Would love to open another brew pub here one day.

K. Thanks for the input.
Grizz. The Cannon is not bad, just nothing ground breaking. Would love to open another brew pub here one day.

Yeah, it was interesting talking to the brewmaster (his name escape me at the moment). The wheat beer I tried in the sampler had been brewed SIX days earlier!!! That has to be frustrating as a brewer to have owners breathing down your neck to produce on a small system with no real conditioning room. To anyone else, do not talk to anyone else about the brewery except the brewmaster - I had a crazy conversation with a manager who clearly did know his stuff.

I did get to watch a guy complete the 3 burger challenge thing though - that was kind of cool.

Back