My progress report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballistic

Reaction score
Hi - have not been on the site for many months. I am still going with the tinned kits which are widely available in the UK. My latest brew is the tried and tested "Definitive Bitter" by YOUNGS. To this I have added 500 grams of brown suger, 250 grams of white sugar and 650 grams of refined black mollases. I use a pressure barrel as before for both secondary and carbonation simultaneously which works well.

A few tips which I have discovered:

I no longer keep testing gravity if at all. I got very little info from it. I'd rather leave my primary a few days longer than keep dipping equipment in the bucket.

I wake the yeast and fully disolve in warm water for 10 mins which always gets fermentation going quicker.

I try to oxygenate the water when stiring the wort as the water here is chlorinated. It seems to work ok.

I have tightened up the air valve inside the lid of the pressure barrel. I thought I needed new seals but this was not the case.

The mollases idea is something I read on here once, I haven't tried this yet.

cheers!

Back