My next brew just cost me $300!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunklesWeissbier

Reaction score
I'm loving this hobby! But man is it expensive.

I just went to order my next brew ingredients online and ended up with $300 worth of stuff in my cart. :cross:

Good news is my kegerator is about to get two more taps, kegs, a gas splitter, and all new beer/gas lines. :mug:

I'm not looking forward to the bill when I decide to go AG but I know it will be worth it. :rockin:

Actually, going to all grain isn't all that expensive.

2 Kegs @ $55 ea = $100
48 qt cooler = $20
Fittings and manifold pipes for MLT ~$40-$50

That's all you need. I stress, all you need, you'll of course want to add bells and whistles but you can do that over time. (I assume you already have an IC)

I wnet all-grain becaouse I can "make 14 gallons for 40 bucks!"

ummm, that doesn't include building a brewery room in the basement, a 200 dollar pump plus 30 lbs of fittings, hoses, venting, CO monitoring, OHHH, and a plumber for my gas line -rrrrrrr (pass me a glass please!

ummm, that doesn't include building a brewery room in the basement, a 200 dollar pump plus 30 lbs of fittings, hoses, venting, CO monitoring, OHHH, and a plumber for my gas line -rrrrrrr (pass me a glass please!

Hey, that's what I told SWIMBO. Why doesn't she believe me anymore?:confused:

Thats what I'm worried about. I don't currently have the room for all the AG equipment. I will have to buy a new house with a brew room :mug:

Actually, going to all grain isn't all that expensive.

2 Kegs @ $55 ea = $100
48 qt cooler = $20
Fittings and manifold pipes for MLT ~$40-$50
That's all you need.

You don't even need that much. One 8 gallon aluminum pot for $19. A 48qt cooler for $20, and the fittings and CVPC pipe to make it a MLT run around $20.

That means you can go all grain for about $60. Assuming you already have a wort chiller. It's really not that much.

Yeah, we think we are going to save money when we start :cross: Actually with costs of commercial brews going the way they are and having not done any major upgrades to my system for a year I'm actually saving money for the now. Now I need to put a site glass on two kettles, build a better brew stand, and finally decide if I want to go steam injection, RIMS, or direct fire...

Assuming you have a large enough stock pot, you can go AG with a $2 5 gallon paint strainer bag. Worked for me. I saved enough by buying bulk grains and hops to make up the cost of my pot and the bags in like 2 batches.

I think the whole, acquiring/building new equipment and advancing one's capabilities is one of the best parts of the hobby. It definately has its financial and space implications but acquiring new skills and then making new/better beers is definately part of draw of this hobby for me!

I went all grain a few months ago and all I had to add to my equipment was a 48qt cooler and the equipment to convert it. Cost me about 25 bucks at the local hardware store, I already had the cooler but I am already enjoying the added control over my beer. Not to mention my wife loves the lack of the DME mess.(I have a gas range with a power burner so I still brew stove top style).

Ok, I'm going to see your $110, and raise you $220.
We just acquired two SS 55 gallon barrels for $320 ($110 + $220 = $320 - I like your math!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300554475114&
ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Our group has outgrown our 25 gallon system, and a buddy and I decided to take the bull by the horns and put together an automated HERMS system.
Best part is, the SWMBO didn't freak out when I pulled up and put two of these bad boys in the garage and told her how much I just paid for them.
Hopefully, my brewing group will embrace change, and help us out. If not, it is me and him, and worst case scenario, me!
Anyone know a welder near Atlanta, GA that will work for beer?

You're not accounting for the extra 5 or so kegs and CO2 fittings you're going to need.:p

I won't tell anyone though. ;)

You're not accounting for the extra 5 or so kegs and CO2 fittings you're going to need.:p

I won't tell anyone though. ;)

I haven't accounted for a ton of stuff yet, but we're doing it.
Thermometers, sight glasses, quick disconnects and hoses, burners and regulators, controller board and solenoid valves, casters plus the steel for the frame, copper for the recirc...
But I guarantee we will have a system that will have any brewer drooling before this time in 2010.

if i spent my time making beer with what I HAVE, instead of buying more of what I WANT, I could already be typing the fiscal virtues of frugal fermentation. (sigh)

We decided to go with stainless steel for the coil. We did a hot wet test on it yesterday. We heated up about 40 gallons of water to 140 in under an hour with two bayou classic burners. We had three, but one of them kept cutting out because of the built in safety valve. Anyway, the recirc worked great. We have the false bottom arriving Wednesday, a frame getting welded this weekend, and have to buy two 315HF pumps, and we're ready to rock and roll. I'll post some pictures of what we have so far soon.

Latest posts

Back