My new to me 5 gallon Whiskey barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MightyMosin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today I picked up two 5 gallon oak whiskey barrels.
One of them is going to get my Pinot Noir Pyment that is currently undergoing Malo-Lactic conversion (probably done).

For the other I'm taking inspiration from an old post on Got Mead where I will be making up a must with bocheted honey and a cold steep marshmallow root tea for the water portion. There will be some vanilla beans at the end.

I'm looking forward to getting these into use!

My local brew store here in So Cal gets them in occasionally and he had these last two that had been sitting a while. I had previously purchased one that had rum; that barrel has a Cabernet Sauvignon pyment in it that is tasting great, but I need a little more oak in the mead.

He had them marked at $159 each but I got a considerable discount from that price.
I'm guessing the steep discount was because they had been sitting for a bit, I purchase a lot from him and I simply asked for what the best price he would give me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer, Are you able to post a picture of it? Is the lid removable (to clean it) or there is just a hole?

Back