My new portable Keg system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I enjoyed seeing all sorts of cool keg setups during visit last month to the National Homebrewer's Conference in Cincinnati. One table in particular had about 6 corny kegs of brew up on top, each with an insulated KEGLove on with a Ball Lock Faucet. The KEGLove had an ice blanket in a sleeve between the stretchy neoprene insulation to keep the beer cold and they were using a Paintball CO2 tank to push all the beer in the kegs. I thought what a great system with no coolers or ice to haul around, no hoses, no big heavy CO2 tank, and it makes for easy pack up and go.

I decided to give it a try picked up a couple sleeves for cornies and the adapters for gas and a beer faucet. Here's one of them.

PortableBrew1.jpg

It consists of a Neoprene sleeve with ice blanket from KEGLove, a 12 oz. Paintball tank CO2 system using Williams Brewing Paintball Conversion kit, and Quick Disconnect Faucet Adapter from Austin Homebrew Supply.

I did a test last night on how long it will keep liquid cold in hot Texas heat and basically it will keep beer cold in 90+ weather for 3 hours which is about how long most homebrew kegs last at parties. An extra ice blanket will keep beer colder longer and is not necessary in milder climates.

The Paintball CO2 tank is very portable and convenient to fill at most sporting goods stores and even Lowe's has a Blue Rhino swap program. Williams Brewing sells the adapter and re-oriented gauges which were a snap to install.

The faucet adapter from Austin Homebrew is a simple fitting with collar that screws onto a Ball Lock Beer Out connector with 1/4" MFL fitting. It will not work with Perlick or Shirron faucets, but the cheapies work just fine.

To pour, just vent the keg and start your dispensing pressure at 2 PSI. It does not take much to push your beer since there is no beer line to provide resistance.

It makes for a very tidy and portable system to bring beer to parties and where ever. SWMBO approves.

PortableBrew2.jpg

This will get a workout at a couple upcoming brewfests. :mug:

that looks great Ed. I was wondering if you are worried about it falling over and breaking tap, connectors or gauges. I have thought about this for when I build a portable. If you took the dip tube and cut it short you could attach a silicone hose with weighted pickup. Turn the tap around facing inward so when keg is laying on its side the tap would still have pour position. tie(or use velcro patches) the co2 tank upright to the side of the keg for roll stability. Unless you are the bartender at some point some drunk will knock it over, possibly breaking components and causing a loss of equipment, co2 or beer.

Is the only advantage of the paintball gauges so that you don't have to turn your head to the side when you're adjusting the pressure?

Could you get off cheaper by just buying the adapter?

Very cool setup. I hope to mimic a setup similar to this for some football tailgating.

Pffffffft... no trash can? :D

How is the pour, Ed? Even at 2 psi I'd expect a good deal of foam going through nothing but the dip tube.

Is the only advantage of the paintball gauges so that you don't have to turn your head to the side when you're adjusting the pressure?

Could you get off cheaper by just buying the adapter?

Yep. I get a kink in my neck from looking at them otherwise. :D

that looks great Ed. I was wondering if you are worried about it falling over and breaking tap, connectors or gauges. I have thought about this for when I build a portable. If you took the dip tube and cut it short you could attach a silicone hose with weighted pickup. Turn the tap around facing inward so when keg is laying on its side the tap would still have pour position. tie(or use velcro patches) the co2 tank upright to the side of the keg for roll stability. Unless you are the bartender at some point some drunk will knock it over, possibly breaking components and causing a loss of equipment, co2 or beer.

I'm not really worried about it. I'm past the phase in my life where people get so drunk that they start knocking things over. :drunk: 5 or 6 of them were up on a table at NHC with over 1,000 drinkers milling around and nothing was knocked over or broken.

If I start taking two kegs together, they will be tied together for added stability.

Pffffffft... no trash can? :D

How is the pour, Ed? Even at 2 psi I'd expect a good deal of foam going through nothing but the dip tube.

Pretty good. It worked well at NHC as I was wondering the same thing. You just need to crank it down and you are good to go. Just vent the keg first to start.

I have thought about this for when I build a portable. If you took the dip tube and cut it short you could attach a silicone hose with weighted pickup. Turn the tap around facing inward so when keg is laying on its side the tap would still have pour position.

That's a great idea. Perhaps the only change I would make is to use 16G CO2 carts instead of a 20oz.

Plz explain?

If you use the adapter only to change the regulator, the gauges are off by 90 degrees. The kit has new gauges that are re-oriented so they are right side up when on the bottle. My regulator had a broken guage, so I decided to get the new ones too.

Here's the kit.

R76.JPG

however you could just hold the 20oz tank in your hand as you ajust the regulator and have it oriented any way you choose.
so long as its set back up right before despincing you will be fine

I have had a set up like this for a few years, and yes they fall over really easy when you are on grass or unlevel stuff like dirt, river-bed shore ect. i made a little boot for mine with some 2x4s and a chunk of OSB, however the only thing that ever broke on mine was the tap handle, but 9 times out of 10 it was a kid or dog that did it running by to fast or kicking a ball ect

Edwort thoes rubber clad gauges are tite! nice setup

however you could just hold the 20oz tank in your hand as you ajust the regulator and have it oriented any way you choose.
so long as its set back up right before despincing you will be fine

I have had a set up like this for a few years, and yes they fall over really easy when you are on grass or unlevel stuff like dirt, river-bed shore ect. i made a little boot for mine with some 2x4s and a chunk of OSB, however the only thing that ever broke on mine was the tap handle, but 9 times out of 10 it was a kid or dog that did it running by to fast or kicking a ball ect

Edwort thoes rubber clad gauges are tite! nice setup

A simple base from OSB & 2x4's would be just the right thing.

Hmmm, where could I get some scrap 2x4's and OSB.......:rolleyes:

A simple base from OSB & 2x4's would be just the right thing.

Hmmm, where could I get some scrap 2x4's and OSB.......:rolleyes:

Scrap Smart Siding, scrap 2x4's, some nails and 5 minutes later, base was there.

ZealotsPicnic2008e.jpg

Worked great at the Zealots Picnic! Cold beer till the keg blew.

The faucet adapter from Austin Homebrew is a simple fitting with collar that screws onto a Ball Lock Beer Out connector with 1/4" MFL fitting. It will not work with Perlick or Shirron faucets, but the cheapies work just fine.

having a little trouble locating the ball lock faucet adapter. Do you happen to have the item# still?

My latest addition and most portable draft system. The 3 Gallon KEGLove with ice blanket.

3GallonKegLove1.jpg

3GallonKegLove2.jpg

I got an email a couple of weeks ago that they just released the 3 gallon version, so I picked up the system of the KEGLove and ice blanket for $39. I got an extra ice blanket since I live in Texas.

It worked flawlessly to dispense 3 gallons of Apfelwein at a party. I picked up the low profile tap handle, adapter, and CO2 charger from Austin Home Brew.

This puppy truly is portable and no fuss or muss. I'll be selling the old system.

My only concern is when you transort you keg in your car you will be dispencing foamy beer for like 3-4 hours after from the shaking of liquid in the keg.

I took a 5 gallon keg from my kegerator and brought it to my fathers for his party and it had to sit for like 3 hours before I got a decent pour out of it.

It went straight into his fridge when we got there and I used a cheapo plastic faucet with tubing.

I also dont understand why you need the new guages?

I know why you would need the co2 tank adapter because the paint ball is going to be smaller but why change you guages on the regulator?

Do you need the whole setup or do you just need to change the adapter?

It looks like you're eventually aiming for a kegging system that fits in your trucks cup holder. Almost there! haha (*note* I am not promoting drinking and driving, just making a joke) Those are great setups. Everytime I make one more step in brewing (going all grain, getting a my fridge last weekend for kegerator woohoo!) Ed reminds me that i'm still no where close to him!! But I guess I'm also 21 years behind him in age! haha He's been drinking legally my whole life!! Even by todays age limit. Longer really, now I'm just rambling.

Nice setups ED

so all in all, about how much does this setup cost?

For the 3 gallon corny it is $99.88

$39.95 KEGLove with ice blanket
$36.95 Ball Lock Faucet Assembly
$16.99 Portable Keg Charger
$ 5.99 Ball Lock MFL Connector (gas in)

I'd love something like this in nitro since most of our homebrew is nitro'd. Anyone ever tried to refill one of those paintball catridges with beer gas?

For the 3 gallon corny it is $99.88

$39.95 KEGLove with ice blanket
$36.95 Ball Lock Faucet Assembly
$16.99 Portable Keg Charger
$ 5.99 Ball Lock MFL Connector (gas in)

Where'd you get a 3 gallon for $99?

I think he is saying that it costs 99 bucks to outfit a 3 gallon corny with this setup. Notice the prices below that you are quoting. They mysteriously add up 99.88

When it comes to 2.5 to 3 gallon corny's its almost a better investment to buy them new. I watched ebay for awhile and got one for about 75 shipped, but its tough to find them in good condition. Plus the one I bought was advertised as 3 gallon but turned out to be 2.5. Oh well still an ok deal. New they are about 120 plus shipping.

When it comes to 2.5 to 3 gallon corny's its almost a better investment to buy them new. I watched ebay for awhile and got one for about 75 shipped, but its tough to find them in good condition. Plus the one I bought was advertised as 3 gallon but turned out to be 2.5. Oh well still an ok deal. New they are about 120 plus shipping.

Yep, you are right. My first one I bought for about 90 bucks almost 10 years ago from Williams brewing. I bought my second one used for 80 last year from Austin Homebrew.

One thing is for sure, if you buy new, you can get most of your money back out of it.

They are a sweet size and I like the single handle.

Latest posts

Back