My last hop still hasn't broken ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhuff84

Reaction score
On April 6th, I planted 4 rhizomes. I'm a first time grower so I followed instructions meticulously. I planted Magnum, Cascade, Centennial, and Willamette. To my surprise, the Magnum broke ground in a matter of days. The cascade and centennial shortly after (just over a week). The Willamette still hasn't shown it's face. This past Saturday (2 weeks from planting), I got a little impatient and gently dug down to check the condition of the rhizome. It appeared fine, in fact, it had a sprout about 1.5 inches long. So I cover it up and anxiously await it's arrival. Woke up this morning (4 days after dig) and still nothing...

The time for ordering a replacement rhizome is near. Should I give up on this one and order another? Can rhizomes take this long to sprout?

First RDWHAHB, then leave the rhizome to do its thing. You have plenty of time to get another if you want to do so, were just finishing up digging in some of our beds with all the cold wet weather we've had.

It's a plant, they don't have a set schedule. My 3rd year Zeus and Nugget are 6-8" tall and my Hallertau and Mt Hood still haven't broken ground. Don't worry, once the weather warms up they'll all take off like rockets, some are just late bloomers.

Thanks for clearing that up. Perhaps I do just need to let it do it's thing and stop checking on it. Just wanted to make sure there weren't any red flags in what I was doing.

lol its tough to be patient. I just planted my rhizomes this last saturday. I find myself checking my mounds for any activity knowing its going to take some time. It reminds me of my first brew. Watching my carboy like a hawk.

I did the same thing with my first year CTZ. It was taking forever to break ground so I dug it up only to find that it was starting to sprout. It finally took off (well behind my cascade and centennial) and ended up being my best plant in the long run. That thing is a freakin beast now. It out grows and out produces all my other plants hands down. So just give it time, it will grow.

I did the same thing with my first year CTZ. It was taking forever to break ground so I dug it up only to find that it was starting to sprout. It finally took off (well behind my cascade and centennial) and ended up being my best plant in the long run. That thing is a freakin beast now. It out grows and out produces all my other plants hands down. So just give it time, it will grow.

Be careful doing this..

I did this with my Newport this year, even being super duper slow and cautious i broke a bine that was about to break through! I was so mad at myself for being so impatient lol.
Its got several that have come out now thankfully.

Back