My landlord told me to stop brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, in the lease. They couldn't come to you 6 months into your year long lease and tell you that now you can't have a dog all of a sudden.

Renters have rights too. More than most people think.

More than they should have, whatever happened to adults making contracts without the government limiting their ability to do so?

Either way, the legal advice in this thread is worth exactly what was paid for it.

The two best options, I think, are to continue to brew and be prepared to accept the consequences without crying if they happen or to rent another place where the desires of the landlord and the tenant are better aligned.

A third option is that if it is important to be able to do what you want at home within reason, you could chose to live on property you own.

Why?

Landlord can tell you not to do otherwise legal things with your apartment, like smoking and owning pets... how is this any different?

Typically those types of stipulations would be in the lease at the time of signing. They can't just make up rules as you go. Exclusions of that nature(smoking, pets, brewing) would need to be specifically defined in the lease, otherwise it would be interpreted as allowed, not the other way around.

I think evicting someone for "cooking" something that you disagreed with would be a stretch, and if presented properly, could be a form of discrimination. I don't see a judge interpreting it under Hazardous activity, becasue there is plenty of information showing it is not. Unless brewing is Illegal in your state, that's a different issue.

I've been on both sides of Landlord-Tenant laws. If a Landlord wants you gone it can happen, and if a tenant wants to stay it can take a court order and a sherrif to get him out. Iv'e seen it go both ways. Most Landlords are not going to mess with a regularly paying tenant, unless they are causing major problems for other residents. As a landlord it's hard enough keeping your units full with people who are employed, pay the rent, and don't have other issues.

I tend to live by the "It's easier to ask forgiveness, than permission" way of thinking. Fly under the radar, don't make an issue out of brewing and I'll bet it goes away.

Back