My Kilju experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman101

Reaction score
I made some Kilju, and got it pretty clear by just letting it sit and settle (glass in front).

It tasted....kinda bland actually. But I was prepared and had some fruit to squeeze and add into the mix. Kilju takes fruit juice pretty well. I tried orange, lime, lemon and some grenadine. Might also try some berries in next batch (brewing in the back)
ki.jpg

I was reading the back of a hard seltzer can recently and it seemed to point toward the alcohol being fermented sugar with a little extra sugar added after fermentation plus some flavoring. Have you tried hard seltzer, would it be similar to kilju?

I was reading the back of a hard seltzer can recently and it seemed to point toward the alcohol being fermented sugar with a little extra sugar added after fermentation plus some flavoring. Have you tried hard seltzer, would it be similar to kilju?
Never had hard seltzer, so I don't know if its the same

Ratio is 6 cups of sugar to every gallon of water
Starting gravity= 1.106
Finishing gravity= 1.002
Abv= 13.65 before sweeting/juice

haha
Had to read this and get educated.

As a vet who was in Korea, we used to laugh and joke about some of the local variations of rice wine that could be had. Soju, kumbok ju, and 'jungle juice', which was a variation and mix of wine, soju, flavored seltzer, and possibly fruits if you had them handy. What we'd call 'kill ju' was more or less a joke for the stuff you'd drank the night before leaving you with a vicious hangover and feeling like death. :yes:

Kilju is widely brewed (at least) in Finnish prisons in plastic bags from bread crumbs, usually behind the toilet seat so that guards wouldn't notice. Sometimes youngsters brew it at home when they are not legally allowed to buy alcoholic beverages. I'm having hard time to believe that any qualified craft brewer would like to try this at home... ;) For more enjoyable Finnish classic, try Sahti.

Kilju is widely brewed (at least) in Finnish prisons in plastic bags from bread crumbs, usually behind the toilet seat so that guards wouldn't notice. Sometimes youngsters brew it at home when they are not legally allowed to buy alcoholic beverages. I'm having hard time to believe that any qualified craft brewer would like to try this at home... ;) For more enjoyable Finnish classic, try Sahti.

heh, maybe :D. But the Kilju experiment was just that, an experiment. Something new to try and an exercise in brewing.

hmmm...the Sahti looks interesting. I'm rather fond of Juniper berries in brew

I just tried some Hard Seltzer this weekend (Platform Black Cherry), and I can see some similarities.
Might try to get some Black Cherry extract and see how close I can get.

Back