My keg beer is flat, help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazza1234

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I`ve just started keg home brewing & my beer is flat all the time. I gassed at 35-40 PSI or 250 KPA for 24 hours, vented then started pouring at 10 PSI no good. Please any tips out there I have 69ltrs off lovely tasting beer that is flat.

It needs to be cold. Less than 40ish. Also once it's cold you can carb a keg in no time at all by shaking it. You will actually hear the regulator let gas in as you shake it. When you don't hear the regulator actuate when you shake it.. it's taken up all the gas it will at the set pressure.

+1^

But instead of shaking, roll it (rock it back and forth, between 10 and 2 o'clock) with the gas connector pointing up and 30-40 psi on it, until it takes up no more gas (about 10 minutes). You can hear it stop rushing in.
Then return to cold storage for 24 hours. Release pressure, and set at 10-12 psi. It should be carbonated by then but may have a bit of carbonic acid bite (or slight metallic flavor) that will mellow out over a week.

Make sure you don't have a gas leak somewhere, losing pressure.

As with much of this hobby...time. Even after shaking, I am still not quite happy with my carbonation until it has been on serving pressure for about a week and a half.

The method that has worked well for me was chill the beer for 24 hours in keg. Then set to serving pressure and do the rocking method for 20 to 30 mins then wait 24 hours. Mine was ready the next day. I actually chilled the beer in my bottling bucket a few days before I was ready to keg it to save time when I was able to keg it.

24 hours is just not enough time, even at higher pressure. You can do the shake and roll methods as mentioned or just plan on waiting a week or so for it to gradually carb up.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As has been said above, you need more time and more cold.

When I'm in a hurry, I'll keg at room temperature, gas to 30psi and rock for 5 minutes. Them stick in the fridge. Don't touch it until the entire thing has been cold for at least a few hours - 24 is best. Normally now, I'll hook up to 30psi after kegging for 24 hours (no rocking), then chill and hook up to serving pressure (10 psi). Fully carbed and ready to drink in about 3 days using this method.

Good luck!

+1 to most of everyone else.. i wouldn't do the shake and roll stuff unless you are completely desperate for beer. I would rather just put it on 10PSI at 35 degrees (might need more PSI for warmer temp) and let it sit there for 2 weeks before I do anything.

The 2 weeks cold aging will not only give you the little tiny bubbles you want to see but also the beer will taste better because of it.

IMO every beer should be cold conditioned for at least 2 weeks before you tap it.

I know that forced carb is all the rage and a great idea but i never have a problem when i use priming sugar. 4.3 ozs and can usually pour it without gas in the beginning. yeah it takes little longer but I'm usually a couple kegs in front of what drinking so it can age in the keg for a couple months

I know that forced carb is all the rage and a great idea but i never have a problem when i use priming sugar. 4.3 ozs and can usually pour it without gas in the beginning. yeah it takes little longer but I'm usually a couple kegs in front of what drinking so it can age in the keg for a couple months

nothing wrong with natural carbing.. it actually forces you to let the beer age and mellow out a bit. In most examples Aging = Improved beer.

The rollers and shakers are trying to get beer turned around ASAP but will drink an inferior product because of impatience. .. just my opinion.

+1 to most of everyone else.. i wouldn't do the shake and roll stuff unless you are completely desperate for beer. I would rather just put it on 10PSI at 35 degrees (might need more PSI for warmer temp) and let it sit there for 2 weeks before I do anything.

IMO every beer should be cold conditioned for at least 2 weeks before you tap it.

I don't do the shaking much anymore, but I've done it a number of times with no ill effects. I definitely don't do it with hoppy beers because of the potential for oxidation. There is also some speculation that you'll get reduced head retention with this method, but I've not noticed this so much. But, if you need/want carbed beer quickly, its a viable option.

I certainly don't wait two weeks on hoppy beers. I drink those as soon as they're carbed. Other beers do benefit from the extra time, but that's outside the scope of the thread.

Back