My Immersion Chiller is UGLY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingcities

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything to really bend it around when I was making it, and impatient as I am, since the copper tubing was already coiled up when I bought it, I just kind of stretched it upwards, and gently bent the intake/output tubes into place.

As a result- the thing looks kind of like it was put together by a seasick drunk monkey... But it works- so I don't really care. :p

Anyone else have an ugly immersion chiller?

Dude...this is useless without pics...just sayin.

Yes... I know. I got off my butt and took one just for you. :)

Chiller.jpg

Bobby_M said:
The world is filled with cylindrical objects and you couldn't find one?

Note- I said I was impatient... So no... I couldn't find one in the size I would have needed. :D

carefully uncoil it so it doesn't kink, then grab a 5 gal. bucket assuming your brew pot is larger diameter than a 5 gal bucket but anything round that fits easily into your brew pot will do. Lay the bucket (or whatever) on its side over the copper tubing. Carefully roll the copper tubing along with the bucket so the tubing coils around the bucket. There ya go, easy peasy. This is how I formed my CFC, works great.

carefully uncoil it so it doesn't kink, then grab a 5 gal. bucket assuming your brew pot is larger diameter than a 5 gal bucket but anything round that fits easily into your brew pot will do. Lay the bucket (or whatever) on its side over the copper tubing. Carefully roll the copper tubing along with the bucket so the tubing coils around the bucket. There ya go, easy peasy. This is how I formed my CFC, works great.

I like my ugly chiller though. I'ma keep it ugly since it works.

That looks a lot better than my first immersion chiller which I did the same thing you did until I learned my trick. Yeah, I didn't care how it looked either cause it still worked great. For some of us, it's not about looks as it about functionality.

I wouldn't recommend UNCOILING at all. If you want to clean it up, just drop it over a cylinder of a smaller diameter than it is right now and start tightening it up starting from the bottom.

That's horrible. I hope you don't have any children around when that comes out of the closet. I wish I could unsee that. I think Im going to be sick.

Just busting chops, its not that bad. I'm sure it works just fine. :mug:

That's horrible. I hope you don't have any children around when that comes out of the closet. I wish I could unsee that. I think Im going to be sick.

Just busting chops, its not that bad. I'm sure it works just fine. :mug:

It works fine... It just mmakes me think of the Aquateen episode where they try to replace Shake with a clone...

aqua-teen-hunger-force-20070413005542601.jpg

Dude that thing is beautiful compared to mine I had a 45 foot section of tubing someone gave me that was already coil and I tried to unroll it to make it the size I wanted and one of my none brewing buddys asked if I had a blind guy roll it for me but screw it cuz it works well

The funny thing is that one looks nicer than mine! Compared to yours mine looks like a pile of twisted crap built by a drunken monkey. It still works well and cools boiling wort in 10-20 min, so I'm happy with it. Only cost me around $36, which is a lot better than the $70-$80 for the ones at my LHBS.

beerloaf

We should have a HBT ugly chiller contest.

Yeah I second this. After seeing a guy post his chiller and call it "ugly" it really shows that people have no idea how their chiller compares to others. I was impatient after shoulder surgery and tried to make mine at about 10% strength, resulting in misshapen rings. I later realized that my pot was too big and it needed to be smaller for 5 gallon batches, and smooshed it all down.

Mine is pretty screwed up but what I did that I am REALLY liking is a scrapped the vinyl hose for some extra washer hot/cold hookups. It was a PITA to stretch over 1/2" barbs but they do not get "melty" and the garden hose threads right into them...

Mine is pretty screwed up but what I did that I am REALLY liking is a scrapped the vinyl hose for some extra washer hot/cold hookups. It was a PITA to stretch over 1/2" barbs but they do not get "melty" and the garden hose threads right into them...

Yeah, I really do need to get braided hose (or...anything else) attached. The hose does get a little "melty" and it causes kinks and backup pressure. I also want to attach a valve to regulate flow on the output so I can maintain water pressure without pushing out gallons of water that hasn't had enough contact time to transfer heat.

I will add those lines I used do not get melty or kink even at the hottest temp. I am very happy with that mod...

I will add those lines I used do not get melty or kink even at the hottest temp. I am very happy with that mod...

?? Zamial , dood, had a few beers already? I don't understand anything about this statement. . . . . .:drunk:

Edit: Well except that you are very happy.

?? Zamial , dood, had a few beers already? I don't understand anything about this statement. . . . . .:drunk:

hahahahaha that was add to go with this from page 2...thanks! you made me LOL...

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I just chalk it up to that his rig is working fine for him.

That mammoth chiller is pretty awesome. I can't imagine cleaning that thing though. Boiling water doesn't do it for mine; I have to give it a good scrub. I can't imagine scrubbing all of those coils down after chilling a high gravity sticky mess :drunk:

Back